Sunday, June 22, 2014

The Smoothest, Hippest, Grooviest Frankenstein in all of Japan

OK, it's time.  Drum corps time?  Well, yes.  Which means that I need to make sure I give my proper send-off to George Baldi III, bass man for Rockapella for these last 12 years.  

Ordinarily, I'd have a show to talk about here, but since we weren't privy to knowing that Geo was leaving Rockapella until after the fact, I wasn't able to give him anything like the books I gave to Kevin and John at his last meet and greet.  It's too bad, because I have a lot of great pictures of George that I'd love for him to have in some form other than on Facebook.  I'll post some of them here, too.
11/15/04  Lufkin, TX


The day I met George, I was sitting outside the theater at Monta Vista High School in Cupertino on October 16, 2002, back in the days where they didn't usually have reserved seats, and we wanted to be first in line.  Scott walked up with this handsome guy, and we said hi to Scott.  I said to Geo, "Hi!  I'm Sherry!" and Scott said, "Oh, you haven't met Sherry yet?  George, this is Sherry."  George had just joined the group that summer, so he was still learning a lot of the songs and choreography.  I was amazed by the new sound to the group, and we talked later about Angela and me grooving with him during "Summertime Blues".  He was easy to talk to right from the very beginning.  
Geo's second CA gig: 10/17/02 - Montalvo


The next day, Kevin chose me to be "Pretty Woman", and he said from the house, "How's Sherry, George?", and George smiled, nodded, and started the intro to "My Girl".  He was so new that he hadn't mastered his "Hey, Baby, what's goin' on?" when being introduced to the lucky woman on stage.  Scott asked me to sing "Stand By Me" with them, and I jumped a couple of bars on Geo's intro, but since he's such a pro, he caught on right away and changed the chord at the right time.  That was the first night that he did the spoken introduction to "Zombie Jamboree", and since he didn't know the choreography, Elliott told him, "Now, SPIN!"  during the song.  He did so.  No, this was NOT part of the choreo.  It was hilarious.

I have many memories of meets and greets with Geo, mostly having to do with Joe being not-actually-related-to Geo, but them acting like they were.  Geo would make fun of us staying in the back of the line to talk to them because we didn't want to take up too much time in front of people that just wanted to get CDs signed and say a quick hello.  At one point, he met my parents and teased me, telling them that I was a stalker.  Another time, he thanked me and Angela for his personalized Christmas goodies, saying that nobody had ever done that for him before.  When he told us what his first full-song solo would be, MJ went crazy.  He said, "One day, you'll be screaming, 'Papa, Papa!'", so yes, of course, I shouted that sometimes when I saw him on the stage by himself.  I LOVE the vocal percussion  break during that song. Oh, yeah, and the time he sang Stevie Wonder's "Happy Birthday" to me on my birthday, then later thanked ME for sharing my special day with them. 
 
Carmel 11/04/05 - Now with JKB


We also had a great time getting to know Geo while we were on the Rockapella Cruise.  He was the first member of Rockapella to sit at the cool table with us, and we got to meet Sandra and told her why we love Rockapella so much.   
Formal Night on the Cruise - January 2011

The music.  Oh, the talent this man has!  He brought the smoothest grooves to Rockapella.  He brought the major vocal sexiness.  He loved to sing that wicked, wicked bass line in "Paper Doll" that had us in awe every single night.  He loved to show us his range when singing a falsetto line of "I Will Always Love You" in the same paragraph as he would sing "Old Man River".  Thank you, Chocolate Milk!  He is the reason that Liz and I told Scott that, yes, Scott can now arrange a Stevie Wonder song for this group.  I hope that they continue with this sound.  I'll also miss little show moments, like his "NBC" and "Yum Yum" during their Commercials medley.  I'll miss his Hula Hoop during the Chipmunks song.  I'll miss every groovy moment that I can't articulate here.

November 2013 - Rrrrrancho Cucamonga
My greatest memories of Geo, though, would have to be the moments of Stage Love:

  • Napa: Geo singing to me during "Smile in My Heart", and getting Scott to sing to me, too
  • Montalvo:  Geo kissing my hand during "Please Come Home For Christmas" to thank me for his Christmas goodies.  At BOTH shows that night.  AND at the meet and greet.
  • Napa: Geo SINGING OUR NAMES during "Babygirl"
  • Coach House:  Geo saying to me at the end of "Grinch":  "No cookies for you!"
    The Ultimate Stage Love
There were many, many more moments than these, mostly heavy sighs and sexy stares.  I will miss all of it.  Sigh.  I have swooned many a swoon because of this man.

12/05/14 - Napa: Geo's last Pella incarnation

I wish that I could go to Colorado to see Geo's replacement in his first show, but I'll need to wait, for several reasons.  Maybe it will give me more time to heal.  

I hope that I get to see Geo someday again, and I hope that he's performing at that time, because his voice is still at the top of its form, and he needs to share that with the world.

I'll miss you lots, George.  You're Awesome.  You're the Man.  :)

01/29/12: Napa -- the site of many favorite Geo moments

1 comment:

  1. Even though I'm sad we won't see him with Pella anymore, I smiled the entire time I read this. I'm glad we share many of the same memories.
    -Wendy

    ReplyDelete