Saturday, February 23, 2013

C'est Vrai

I saw "Amour" at the Laemmle theater as part of my quest to see all of this year's Oscar Best Picture nominees.  Since the film isn't being shown in very many theaters, there were quite a few people there to see it, and I arrived just in time, so I sat in the second row.
  • Sometimes I try not to read the subtitles when I'm watching something in another language.  I didn't need to read for all of the film, but there were a lot of words that I didn't know or didn't remember.  I need to brush up on my French.
  • The film opens with the end of the story, so I'm glad that I was on time, or I wouldn't actually know what was happens since they didn't show it again at the end of the film.
  • I liked the banter between the two leads (before she was too ill to speak, of course).  Just like an old married couple should be: sweet and  funny.
  • I'm guessing that he's the cook, because he still kept eating pretty well after she got sick.  Then I thought of French cooking and got hungry, crazily wishing my popcorn would be replaced by haricots verts.  That would be messy, though, since I didn't have a fork.
  • Ohhhhh...she was a piano teacher.
  • So....what did he do with that last pigeon?
  • Where did he go when he walked out the door at the end?
  • I felt like she was selfish for not allowing him to take her to a hospital or a nursing home.  But his devotion to her was incredible.  It made me wonder about my parents.  I know that my mother would not want my dad to take care of her like that, but if he needed to, he would.  And here I am, crying again.  It's like his story about seeing a film and not crying about it until he told someone about it later.
  • A woman arrived late to the movie and sat 2 seats away from me.  She had mannerisms that annoyed me (they were mostly audible mannerisms), and afterward, she felt compelled to tell me that this is why she loved French films: because they are so real.  Ergo, the title of this post.  
  • I can see why both Trintignant and Riva are so beloved in France.  Wonderful acting.

No comments:

Post a Comment