Friday, August 10, 2012

DCI SemiFinals Day 08/10/12 Live Blog

Since my netbook died when I got to Indy, I'm going to try live-blogging from tonight's semifinals. Hope this works!

10:35 am: Breakfast today: Starbucks. It's a little chilly, and we're wearing shorts. I did not pack for cold weather, but have a long-sleeved hoodie if it gets bad. Currently watching 127 Hours in the hotel.

Lunch at our favorite place: Tastings.
1) 2011 Villa Wolf Gewurztraminer* -- sweet and yummy.
White pizza, mussels, not in one dish.
2) 2010 Pennywise Pinot Noir
3) 2010 Discoveries Moscato* -- really like this one

1:55 Now back at LOS. Just heard some trumpets from a military group play the Star-spangled Banner. Squeaky wheels indicate that the Cascades are on the field with their multitude of props for Shinto.

2:11 Violence in the afternoon with Cascades. I like their martial arts moves.

2:27. The Stravinsky-fest has begun, with Spartans' Firebird. They use NO AMPS. What a friggin concept. Couple of drops from the CG.

2:44 mandarins paid tribute to their 50th anniversary with their new ending, showing old school uniform. Should have used real stones for the temple.

3:01 SCVC. Do you know how difficult it is to watch a drum corps show with tears in your eyes? I do. I LOVE this show!

3:18. BDB: recorded voice starts talking about water becoming the cup, and I think it's Dada II. Dan Potter is now telling us that LOS is the 1st stadium to be built with marching arts in mind.

3:35 Surf: Every day I'm shufflin. I've never liked Pure Imagination more than I have today. Just beautiful, Surf!

3:53 Ore Cru: I think that any corps that plays Simple Gifts should have yellow flags, so that it can be a tribute to SCV's Ballet for Martha. Just like they did. And it was gorgeous.

Had a preview of intermission entertainment: Hellcats.

4:13. Troopers show is nice. People were loving the hip movements. I like when they blow air out of their horns for the steam effect.

Intermission

4:50. Colts soprano soloist got another standing ovation for "All By Myself", wherein, yes, she was playing alone. Audience was dead silent until she hit her first high note. Absolutely gorgeous.

5:07. PC. So I yelled for Mike's friend's son, Andy. Then I thought, "Wait. Is it Adam?" So I kinda yelled again. Anyway, the show brought many smiles to my face. Great job, PC!

5:25 Academy: yelled Kyla's name. Had it wrong yesterday. This is what happens when I don't actually know them. They start their show doing back-to-back Zombie Jamboree moves.

5:47  I really like the way the Glassmen play the Saint Saens. Now watching Crossmen via jumbotron because my body hates me, and I had to leave.

5:58. You can see the Crossmen signature Marquis Cross really nice on the jumbotron. Dan now interviewing the XMen DM.

6:15. Blue Stars. Mermaids ahoy! I would have liked the prerecorded siren song if this was not a drum corps show.

6:32 Spirit's Vegas show was Vegas-y. Could do without the talking.

6:50 Blue Knights carries on the Stravinsky theme of the day, 3rd corps so far. I love the phoenix formation at the end, as well as their final flags.

7:08. Scouts rocked it. Love their arrangement of Pictures at an Exhibition. Also, they sing it. If only they would form a certain symbol...

2 comments:

  1. No Amps in the Spartans' show???

    Give them First Place on that alone! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. No amps in the Spartans' show????

    They deserve First Place just on that alone. :-D

    ReplyDelete