Saturday, June 23, 2012

Brave Heart

I met up with my usual gang of suspects at the El Capitan Theatre for the opening night of "Brave".  I was exhausted from a very full week of work, but knew that once the show started, I'd feel a lot better.  First, we were treated to a Broadway-type show with music and dancing and some old Broadway standards.  The climax of the show was when Merida from "Brave" took the stage, along with Goofy, wearing a kilt and playing bagpipes, and Mickey and Minnie, both dressed in tartan outfits.  I absolutely loved Goofy's outfit!


The animated short that played before the movie was Pixar's "La Luna", and it was quite beautiful.  I loved how the character's mustaches matched their tool of choice.  I don't think that I'll ever look at the moon now and in the future in the same way as I did before.


Then came time for the feature film, Pixar's first attempt at a movie with a female character in the leading role.

  • Gorgeous scenery!  Even after seeing "Finding Nemo" so many times, I am still in awe of the way that Pixar simulates water.
  • I'm also amazed at the way Merida's hair is all over the place, looking realistic in every shot.
  • Butts are funny, especially to kids, whether they're shown on the screen or not.
  • Those triplets were cute, especially after they ate the cake.
  • Will-o'-the-Wisps are neato.  I would like to see one.  But I would not follow a trail of them without having my cell phone handy.
  • I did not see the Pizza Planet truck, but Mox saw it on the table with other wood carvings.
  • The personalities of the guys from the different clans made me laugh.  I also laughed at the girls that were swooning over the Young Macintosh.  It reminded me of the girls that swooned over Gaston in "Beauty and the Beast".
  • We continue this year's theme of Archery with Merida, whom does the best job out of everyone I've seen this year.  She splits another arrow, for goodness' sake!
  • I loved how Mama Bear was all dainty, trying to eat her berries with sticks shaped as a knife and fork.
  • So what happened to Queen Elinor's crown?  She didn't ever wear it after she left it beside the river.
  • I was hearing "Brother Bear" music in my head when they were trying to catch fish.
  • I bawled.  Tears were streaming down my cheeks.  Pixar's done it again.
  • Then they showed that the film was dedicated to Steve Jobs, and the tears came back.  So fitting for a film wherein there is a clan by the name of Macintosh.
  • The score was beautiful, by Patrick Doyle. I bought the CD at the Disney Soda Fountain after the movie.
So, yes, I loved it.  And I want to hug my mom as soon as I see her, because I'm a rebellious daughter, too.  



No comments:

Post a Comment