Monday, September 26, 2011

The Sing-Off Season 3: Premiere Part II

Tonight, we get to meet the other 8 teams in the competition.

Group Number: "Sing" by My Chemical Romance
Sonos from Los Angeles, CA
Pentatonix from Arlington, TX
Soul'd Out from Wilsonville High School
North Shore from Boston, MA
Deltones from University of Delaware
Messiah's Men from Minneapolis, MN
Dartmouth Aires from Dartmouth College
The Collective from Nashville, TN

I like that they keep having college and high school groups here, because it reminds me of the BOCA competitions, which I haven't been to in a while.

Nick is a already a fan of all of these groups, which is probably why he's not a judge on this show. Ben, though, talked about the potential of some groups vs. groups who might not grow during the show.  So it's not really who's the best right now, but maybe who's going to be the best later on?  I guess this is why they don't have guest stars from the professional a cappella world, but I think that they should show them what the groups should be striving for in the first place.  But that's just me wanting to see Rockapella and The House Jacks and the like on my TV, I suppose.

The Dartmouth Aires show us around the campus of Dartmouth College.  Whoa, that guy's hair is funky!  Wow, that's an old jacket.  

Dartmouth Aires: "Higher Ground" by Stevie Wonder
If Liz is watching this right now, she's mad at CSL4 for not arranging a SW song yet.  Wow, that's a lot of guys on stage, but I like that lead singer, as well as the fact that they all get into the song.  My eyes are burning with all of that orange, with the outfits and the lights in the background.

Now we get to learn about Pentatonix.  They found Kevin through a youtube video.  Why are they wearing those stupid glow necklaces?  

Pentatonix: "E.T." by Katy Perry
I don't know this song, but I'm sure I like it more than KP's version.  I usually like most people's versions more than hers, but this, especially because it's a cappella, is well done.  There goes Shawn, talking about the real bass in his group.  Hi, Michael!

I didn't know there was a large Liberian community in Minneapolis.  How did that happen?  

Messiah's Men: "People Get Ready" by Curtis Mayfield
I love to hear African harmonies.  I could hear some flat notes in there from the lead, though.  Why is it that Ben talks about "a traditional beat box" groove?  It drives me nuts.  Maybe it's because my favorite vocal percussionist sounds like actual drums, and not a beat box.  

I know that I've heard of this group before, but I don't know where, because their faces don't look familiar.  Oh, look,, they showed them at the dreaded Mint!  Stop with the drama and the devastation of the future.

Sonos: "Wicked Game" by Chris Isaak
I like the VP effect, and I like this arrangement.  I thought that was really great, especially because they only needed the 5 of them to get their sound and style across, despite what Shawn says about the thin harmony.  Ugh, Ben F, please stop talking about beatboxing.  To me, it just sounds ignorant when they don't call this style what it actually is: vocal percussion.  "Beatboxing", to me, is someone trying to sound like a dance beat or a record scratching.  

Results:
Moving on the next round: Dartmouth Aires, Pentatonix, and Sonos

Messiah's Men's Swan Song: "Swing Low, Sweet Chariot".  Very appropriate, and I like the beat underneath.  

Welcome back to last year's winners, Committed!  I think I need to get their new CD.

Now we go to Nashville for a group of solo artists put together whom have not done a cappella before.  So, this is supposed to be like Kinfolk 9?  Does this mean that they'll get through, too?

The Collective: "Rolling in the Deep" by Adele
Ooh, her voice is sexy.  OK, with all of the voices, I'm expecting more lush harmonies than this, but they sound pretty good for the amount of experience they have as a group.  They were brought together, btw, by Street Corner Symphony's (runner-up last year) Jeremy Lister, and it includes his bro.

In Wilsonville, OR, we are supposed to believe that they are the real-life version of "Glee".  So they have a huge budget for a little group of underdog choir geeks?  Just kidding.  I love "Glee".

Soul'd Out: "Aquarius/Let the Sun Shine In" from Hair
Nice sound!  Oregon sure does have some quality a/c going on in their high schools, because I saw some on my birthday this year, too.  Ben likes to do arithmetic, I guess.  So I guess you guys are better than idiots, which is what Ben was in high school.

Yay!  Doo-wop time!  Why does their group name sound like they should be from Hawai'i?  I want to go to the Doo-Wop Diner.

North Shore: "Runaround Sue" by Dion
Nice!  I'm glad that the judges liked them so much, because I was afraid they'd be short-sighted about the style like they were about another group last week. 

Last group of the night, and we get to go to the University of Delaware.  I like the history of how the Deltones formed: the 5 original members were all rejected by the other a/c groups on campus, so their whole theme is of acceptance.  "Friends first, singers second."

Deltones: "Feels Like Home" by Randy Newman
I like how they smile at each other, because you can feel the joy they share when they sing together.  I liked the opening of the song, but was hoping that we'd hear more from the background than just oohing.  

Results:
Moving on to the next round: North Shore, The Collective and Deltones.

Aw, no high school group going to the 2nd round.

Soul'd Out's Swan Song: "Mama, I'm Comin' Home" by Ozzy Osbourne

Next week, we get to hear the 1st week's bracket battle it out with 2 songs each.  Until then, have a good night!


No comments:

Post a Comment