Saturday, June 28, 2008

Rogue Robots in Love

I saw WALL-E last night with several friends at the El Capitan in Hollywood. Some thoughts:
  • The opening scrim prior to the previews is new, complete with broadway-type lights and a nighttime Hollywood backdrop.
  • Dog movie I don't want to see: "Beverly Hills Chihuahua"
  • Dog movie I'm looking forward to seeing: "Bolt"

Pre-Show:

  • The dancers dressed all in white reminded me of a Color Guard. Perhaps I have drumcorps on the brain, but they really did remind me of the Glassmen, because of their matching hair. I liked all of their props.
  • Nobody freaked me out with bad singing, as the music was all from the original scores.
  • Stitch's head is small in real life.
  • There wasn't enough clapping for the classics, except for Jiminy Cricket. He got more applause than Mickey, even. Since the movie was Pixar, there was much more applause for those clips, although The Lion King did get quite a rousing ovation.

Short "Presto":

  • "That's your dog!" -- Sherry, to Bro and V
  • Feed the Rabbit
  • I wish they had a plush of that bunny inside either one of the hats, with a carrot in his mouth.

Movie "WALL-E":

  • I caught a couple of Pixar references, like the Toy Story alien cup by the cockroach's snack.
  • The message of this movie hit like a ton of bricks: we'd best stop the trash-making, or our home will become a place where robots are in charge and we're consuming nothing but soda and cupcakes and becoming fatter and lazier.
  • Loved the "2001: A Space Odyssey" references.
  • John Ratzenberger got to use his own name for his character.
  • Eve has a temper. Do not mess with her, or she'll shoot you.
  • WALL-E wants to hold hands at inappropriate times.
  • Without that fire extinguisher, the Earth would still be a desolate place, and the cockroach would still be by himself.
  • I realized that I've never actually seen "Hello, Dolly" and need to do so.
  • Rubik's Cube, a VHS tape and Pong? What YEAR is this?

I really enjoyed this movie, and will probably be buying one of those little WALL-E robots, although I didn't last night. I did add to my collection of El Capitan marquee pins, though.

2 comments:

  1. New Kids are Number 1 on VH1 top 20 countdown. Whoo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I was too pre-occupied creeping out at the cockaroach with the not-Twinkie, so I'll have to look for the Toy Story cup next time.

    ReplyDelete