Friday, August 7, 2020

The Geometrics of 2002

DCI Finals
 Camp Randall Stadium
Madison, WI
August 10, 2002


It's Throwback Thursday!  Today would have been Quarterfinals Day of DCI Finals Week, and I went to work today.  I remembered the other day that there was one year that I didn't get to go to Finals because I didn't have enough seniority at the time at work.  I was on the waiting list, and one of the guys that was approved never actually went on his vacation, but cancelled too late so that I could arrange travel and buy tickets to the event.  I was livid, especially because that was the 35th anniversary of SCV and they had a special performance, at Drum Corps Mecca: Madison.  So ever since that time, I have never wanted to talk about that year, and never wanted to see any of the videos.   I did see some of the early season performances, but don't remember much about them because I wasn't blogging yet, and I really didn't want to be reminded of missing such a fun event.  

But this year is like no other, and I decided to finally break down and watch Bro's DVDs.  I thought this night would be fitting not just because it's TBT, but also because Quarterfinals is the time when I get to see shows I haven't seen live yet, and most of the corps' shows on these DVDs are foreign to me.  So yes, I'm watching these in reverse order, with lowest Finals score first, and so forth.  This should be fun for me...I hope it is for you, too.

Let's go back in time 18 years.  Get your flux capacitors fluxing, and your TARDIS tardising.  It's 2002!

I am typing as I watch, and viewing the Multi Camera setting, with audio setting at Dolby Digital 5.1.

SEATTLE CASCADES
Repertoire: "City Riffs" -- On the Town; Simple Song from "Mass"; Prelude, Fugue and Riffs; Make Our Garden Grow from "Candide",  all by L. Bernstein

Ooh, I like the guard uniform tops, like suits.  A couple of rifle drops early in the show.  I like the change fro mthe bright yellow flags to the yellow ombre to green ones.  Nice marimba runs during the duet.  The purple and blue flags are very pretty.  Ooh, nice stockings!  Are they actually stockings?  Cute head bobbing by the bass drummers during the contra feature.  Do that tumble, girl!  I don't know how anyone can do the splits, much less after a tumbling pass, but that's because I never had those talents.  I like how the female guard tops are business in the front, party in the back.  Oh, wait.  They're not all like that.  Never mind.  I like that one guard uniform, then.  Their shoes are cute, too, because they are t-straps!  Clearly, I'm just shopping for my own guard uniform at this point.

MAGIC OF ORLANDO
Repertoire: "Desert Winds" -- The Wind and the Lion by J. Goldsmith

Looks like the drum judge on the field asked if oneof the tenor players was OK as they had put down their drums for a bit while the others continued.  He joined later on.  One of the CG guys kinda looks like my friend Ed from UCI choir, but he would have been too old to participate in that year.  I do not like those peach/brown/mustard color flags.  Eeww.  Are they supposed to be lion color?  Is the movie about an actual lion?  I've never seen it.  Go, bass drums!


SPIRIT from Jacksonville State University
Repertoire: "Darkness Into Light" -- Easter Symphony, Mvt. III, "Symphonia Resurrection" by D. Holsinger

Aw, she's already crying, and Brandt is still announcing the corps!  That's a big delta on their uniforms.  The CG is wearing masks. They are not covering their nose and mouth, though.  I've become far too focused on people's masks these days.  Oh, it sounds a bit like Bond!  Nice cross formation.  Yay, cymbals!  They did a headchopper move.  Yay!  The drums formed a delta.  I like those red flags with the hint of Spirit blue in them.  Now that other girl is crying!  


CROSSMEN
Repertoire: "The Signature Series" -- Heat of the Day by L. Mays & P. Metheny, Candle in the Window by J. Murphy & F. Wildhorn, and Strawberry Soup by D. Ellis

I miss Bones.  Nice red all over, CG!  Oh, the corps comes on to the field after the pit begins playing.  Neato.  I like that brass opening!  Run, drum judge, run!!!  There's their signature marquis cross!  Oh, I understand the title now.  I like the blue flags with the gold stripe across the middle.  Trio of screaming sopranos = triple the fun!  I like how the pit player in front of them was all smiles.


GLASSMEN
Repertoire: "Odyssey" -- Introduction & Dance arr. by B. McConnell, C. McNutt, & J. Meyer;  Millennium Symphony, Mvt. 1 by M. Kamen; Scherzo from "Millennium Symphony" by M. Kamen; Javelin by M. Torke

The drum major winked as he took off his hat/shako.  I like those CG uniforms with the halter-ish bra top and accents on the pants, with the boot showing.  If I could pull that off, I would totally wear it.  Those are big drums they're carrying around!  That soloist looks familiar, like he's the one that was the focus of two of the last shows they ever played, but then he would have had to be, like 16 or something if he was still around in 2008 or whenever that was.  He played very well.  I've decided that if I had any sewing talent, I would design a line entitled "Drum Corps Chic by Sher".  These are the kind of things I contemplate during drum corps, so we're right on point right now.  


BLUECOATS
Repertoire: "Urban Dances" -- Paradise Utopia from "Concerto for Bass Trombone"  by C. Brubeck; New World Overture from "Dancer in the Dark" by G. Bjoerk, S. Sigurjon, and T. Lars

I miss those helmets with the long puffy plumes.   I like how fast they move while in block formation.  Ooh, inset of soprano soloist!  Nice! I like that rockin' piece!  

Taking a short intermission to watch "America / O Canada" by everyone at Finals Retreat, because it's on the same DVD.  Also, I need to put on my headphones so I don't wake up my dad.


PHANTOM REGIMENT
Repertoire: "Heroic Sketches: The Passion of Shostakovich" -- Oppression: Symphony No. 10, Mvt. II; Introspection: Piano Concerto No. 2, Mvt. II; False Hope: Piano Concerto No. 2, Mvt. I; Victory and Celebration: Symphony No. 7 "Leningrad", Mvt. IV, all by D. Shostakovich

I love when Phregiment plays Shostakovich.  They are the Shostakovich Corps for me.  I also dig the uniroms with the tan top and white pants, and that sash is snazzy on the drum major.  Those CG uniforms are very Russian-looking.  Love it.  I'm going to call that drum color "butterscotch".  Nice solo leading into the ballad with the iridescent flags.  Pretty.  They're acting like it's OK that their friends tried to behead them with the sickle props.  Final kneel with kick out!


BOSTON CRUSADERS
Repertoire: "You Are My Star" -- Appalachian Spring by A. Copland; You Are My Star by R. Seeley; The Music of Artie Shaw by A. Shaw

If they don't form at least 5 stars, I'm done with this show.  Why do they think I need to read throughout this show?  I guess this was before narration.  I do prefer this over the talky-talk.  Choir corps!  I like the iridescent flags with the stars on them.  That doesn't count as a formation, though.  Fun jazz dancing.  Conquest!  I was thinking, "That one guy in the pit is about to lose it," and then the next shot is of him crying.  Awwww.  They formed the American flag with their bodies laying on the ground!  I'm done with this show, though.


SANTA CLARA VANGUARD
Repertoire: "Sound, Shape and Color" -- Trivandrum by G. Henderson; Symphony No. 2 "Romantic"  by H. Hanson; Symphony for Organ and Orchestra by A. Copland

The Aussies!  I like that opening hit with the bright orange and silver flags.  Aw, greeen-feathered soloist.  I wonder if this year's age-outs still get green feathers.  Triangles!  Yes, I will likely name all of the shapes that I see.  Even the tip of the flag is a little orange triangle.  Circles!  I have always loved when the corps gets into little groups of 3 and 4.  Those are big double flags, and I like the purple with the little bit of an orange ellipse.  It's square time, though.  Those reflective square props are interesting the way they can collapse and stuff.  Diamonds!  Uh oh, now all the shapes are on the field, and we get to see the Viper!  Oh, the detail on the CG uniform has each of the shapes on it.  I like that.  VAAAANNNNGUAAAARRRRDDD!!!  Oh, look how the CG poses at the end by making shapes with their arms!  No, they did not spell "Y.M.C.A."  

Here's my one picture from tonight:




THE CADETS
Repertoire: "An American Revival" -- Times Square from "On The Town"  by L. Bernstein, B. Comden, A. Green, & R. Edens; Dreams Come True from "Field of Dreams by J. Horner; Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy by D. Raye & H. Prince; New York Memories (Fancy Free) / America the Beautiful by L. Bernstein

Was it a big Bernstein anniversary in 2002?  I like the horns blaring like taxis, although that guy in the stands was a bit late calling for one.  Who was singing "New York, New York"?  Was it the audience?  Their props had writing on them that I couldn't read on some.  I like all of the tributes to the USA this year, almost a year after 9/11.  I love all of the fun during "Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy"!  Nice tribute with the reenactment of the Iwo Jima statue and the 9/11 photo.  

Why did they have to show us the sirens?

BLUE DEVILS
Repertoire: "Jazz-Music Made in America" -- Ragtime/Maple Leaf Rag by S. Flaherty/S. Joplin; I Got Rhythm / Fascinating Rhythm by G. and I. Gershwin; The House of the Rising Sun (Traiditional Blues); Channel One Suite by B. Reddie

I'm sorry, but that DM's salute was limp.  Ooh, bowler hats!  I like that soprano solo!  Hi, soloist!  (He waved at the audience.)  What fun to play Joplin on the marimba!  Rockin' the Gershwin, BD!!!  Ooh, that note is high.  Is this when all of the hair dancing started?  Great solo on HOTRS.  All the drummers circling the high hat stand was fun.


THE CAVALIERS
Repertoire: "Frameworks" -- I. Melody; II. Harmony;  III. Rhythm all by R. Saucedo, B. Kuhn,  and E. Johnson

I have heard many good things about this show.  Let's see what happens.  I love that DM salute.  Nice solos bouncing off of each other to open the show.  I like the drill of picking up folks as they move down the field, then get into a really tight block before opening up again.  Yeah, snares!  I heard that shave and a haircut bit from the basses!  "One and four and..."  starts the CG dancing with the frame of corps dancing around them, and I love it.  You know how I get irritated when people are supposed to be in a straight line, and they're not?  I can't get irritated at the Cavaliers today.  Whoo!  That was fun.

The Cavaliers won all captions that night, capping off their undefeated season and winning their 3rd gold medal in a row.  Congratulations, guys!!!

I looked for Bro, V, and Chun in the stands, but I didn't see them.  I'm now listening to the audio of the show designer of Cavaliers.  I miss hearing the audio of the designers and judges in later DVD releases.

Well, now 2002 exists in my brain in DCI.  That year got a lot better for me, as that was my Pretty Woman year.  I'm hoping that 2020 gets better, too.

Next up:  Not Semifinals


No comments:

Post a Comment