Sunday, October 6, 2019

Newtown 2: The Forest Bugaloo

Rockapella in Newtown II
Edmond Town Hall
Saturday, September 14, 2019
Newtown, CT

Dodie went downstairs ahead of me for breakfast because I woke up late and still wanted to take a shower.  They didn't have waffles this morning, which was disappointing for Wendy because she was looking forward to having one.  I did like the pressed juice that they offered, as well as the yummy smoothies.  I like that they have a nice variety, and that they offer healthy choices.

After breakfast, we lounged for a while, and I saw that a movie was starting on HBO called "The Forest".  I started watching it, not realizing until later that it was a horror film.  Uh oh.  Weff knocked on the door just as the main character had fallen into a hole and was being approached by a school girl in a Sailor Moon-type uniform, and when she looked up, she had Zombie Face.  Creepy!  Dodie was happy to get out of there, even though we both had gotten sucked into the movie.  I do want to watch it later to see what happens, and Dodie just wants to know what happens, but not actually watch it.  I will be watching it in the day time, and away from trees.

Dodie had mentioned that on a different trip, she went to a knitting store with a friend.  She found one (near the Target!), and we all decided to go with her to A Stitch In Time.  I wanted to find stuff for cross stitching, but they didn't have any of that because they're knitting snobs or whatever.  Just kidding.  Dodie offered to make something if any of us wanted anything, and I found this cute hat.



It's even named after one of the local towns!  I paid for the materials, and Dodie is excited to have a new project.  It's a win-win!

We then wanted to do some exploring, and Wendy found a park/hiking area called  Overlook Park.  She tried to shush me when I saw all of the trees and announced "FOREST!"  Dodie was worried that we would ignore a "Do Not Enter" sign, as they did in "The Forest", but there weren't any.   Yes, we voluntarily walked into a wooded area after being scared by a movie about getting lost in a forest.  I tried to calm down Dodie by reminding her that the movie was set in Japan, and the warning in the movie was to avoid the forest at night, and it was still daytime for us. 


 I worried about ticks and insects and thought of Chunk in "The Goonies":  "I hate nature!" whenever a bug went by me.  (I've got some insect bite issues at the moment).  Along the path, we found a picnic table, and this thing.


My Google Lens app said that it was a Tussock moth caterpillar back when we first saw it, but I've done more searching, and it appears that it was a caterpillar of the American Dagger moth.  I'm sure glad we didn't touch it because it may or may not have been poisonous, and cause a rash, and I already told you that I've got insect bite issues.  So...YIKES.  

We saw red "X"s on some of the trees, and JeffEvs said that they mark the path of the trail.  I don't know, it was creepy, and it didn't help that at the beginning of our hike, JeffEvs said that the hotel in "The Shining" was called "The Overlook Hotel".  GREAT.  He couldn't wait until after we were safely in our car before telling us that?!

Also, Alien Elves built a Stonehenge here


We tried to see if we could find the cool "Turtle Crossing" sign that we had seen while traveling to the venue the previous day, but didn't have any luck.  Instead, we decided to eat at a Thai restaurant called "Thai Delight", based on Yelp reviews.

The server was very nice, and the food was beautiful and delicious!  I enjoyed my not-spicy Drunken Chicken dish.

Dodie learned how to make carrot flowers
because of this prettiness.


By this time, it had started to rain, so we were glad to be indoors and watching some car with lots of smoke careening into the parking lot to get to the auto shop next door.  We then went back to the hotel to get ready for the first show of the day.

When we arrived at the venue, we were again in one of the only cars in the parking lot.  We were early and didn't feel the need to go inside, so we sat in the car for a bit.  We watched other cars arrive, and not quite park next to us.  Instead, they would move up to the space in front of them.  We also had a space in front of us, but JeffEvs refused to move up to that space.  We laughed as each car that arrived would do the same thing as the others, and JeffEvs refused to budge.  Ya gotta love a guy with principles.  

My view from the back seat.
Notice there is no car immediately in front of us.


As one of the cars arrived, we thought the people getting out were MJ and Ross.  Then we were sure it was them because Rockapella also arrived (yes, we were there before them!), and they saw the guy that looked like Ross and waved him over to say hi.  Yup, it's Ross!  I was really happy to see MJ because she had just recently had a health scare, and I was glad she was well enough to be there because I hadn't seen her in what seemed like forever.  If you are new to my blog, you probably don't know that MJ and Ross were a couple of the first people with whom I made friends while waiting in line for a Rockapella concert.  We go WAY back in the Wayback Machine.  

Our seats were in the front row, with Weff being on the opposite side of the aisle from Dodie and me.  Hmmm...this time there was no announcement forbidding photography or video.  Someone was taking a lot of photos throughout the show.  Dodie pointed her out and I said that she was probably an official photographer because hello, she was going on to the steps of the stage and nobody stopped her.

Front Row Smiles



Rock Around The Clock

Scott: "Welcome to the afternoon show of Rockapella!"

Jailhouse Rock
Mitch smiled at me as they sang "Sure would be delighted if you'd come with me..."  HI, MITCH!!!

Scott talked about hanging out in Danbury, and how old the area is.  "There be witches and everything!"

He asked, "Who has seen Rockapella before?"  "Who saw Rockapella last night?"  "Who will be seeing Rockapella later today?"  Of course, the diehards cheered every time, prompting one of the guys to say that it all sounded redundant.

Dancing in the Moonlight
I love that when I see a bit of the choreography in their opening video, I know that it's from this song.  Also, I kind of sort of do it with them. A little.

Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
He's a bad mamma jamma.  

Satisfaction
Scott hopped back to the tenors for some reason, which made them laugh.  Mitch copied him.  Connie was chosen to sing along with "Another Saturday Night".

Moon River
Scott talked about the other vocal groups Bryant has been in, and said, "We have changed our name to Vocapella".  Cal said that Scott is a musical genius, to which Scott kiddingly responded in a fangirl voice, "That guy's wonderful.  I LOVE him!"

When Scott heard someone react upon hearing Tommy Dorsey's name, he said, "The ghost of Tommy is here from 1300."

Paper Doll
Scott and Mitch slap their (own) thighs before the fast part starts.

Rock the Boat
I love how Cal intently watches Scott to learn the Love Slide.

Commercials
An audience member responded to Scott's line of shamelessly promoting themselves for the corporate buck by loudly saying, "Say it ain't so."  Scott: "Sorry it's true."  That person tried to go on, but Scott stopped them by saying, "OK that moment has passed."  Don't interrupt the flow of the show, people.  Only the guys are allowed to do that.

During the first Almond Joy commercial, I kept giggling at Mitch's facial expressions, especially his eyebrows.

Almond Joy 3: Bryant raised his eyebrows at the tenors.

Preparation H:  Mitch started by saying, "Sorry, Wendy."
Wendy:  "You gotta do it."
MITCH SAID WENDY'S NAME FROM THE STAGE!  OK, I'll calm down now.

Scott felt the need to get off the stage and announced, "I don't need stairs because I'm in ... (jumps down)...incredible shape."  I'm surprised he didn't land with his fist on the ground like a superhero.  Hmmm..maybe Steve took his cape.

Scott talked to Allison and asked what kind of coffee she likes.
Allison: "Anything."
Scott: "You had the perfect chance to back us up."

Stand By Me
Sing it, Allison!!!

Ain't Too Proud to Beg
When Bryant lost his mind, Mitch pointed at him and said, "You!  You're ruining the show!" as he chased him away.
Great job, Allison!

Macklemore
Mitch cracked up Cal, and it reminded me of the old days with Kevin and Elliott giggling at each other during shows.

During tax season, Jeff writes as his occupation "Pretty much unemployed".

Vocal Percussion Jam

Carmen SanDiego
Scott gave a very long pitch for Bryant.  I wonder if they were having some issues hearing each other at that moment.

Encore
Rapper's Delight
I need a recording of this song.

Up On The Roof / Wonderful World (off mic)

We didn't really talk to the guys at the meet and greet because we knew they needed rest before the next show. Scott didn't even attend, so he was probably hungry and reserving his energy.  Instead, I took a picture with Ross and MJ.



We walked a couple of blocks in the rain to get something to eat at Dere Street Steak, which, APPARENTLY, has transitioned to "Cloud 9" since we were there.  They had good drinks, but took a while to get us our food, so we took it to go and ate it as we walked back to the venue.  I'm glad I had ordered finger food.  My bacon wrapped dates were delish!  Too bad they're no longer on the current restaurant menu.

I'm glad it only sprinkled a little bit on our way back to the venue, because we were too busy chowing down our food to hold umbrellas.

Next up:  Newtown Show #3

2 comments:

  1. You mentioned seeing "The Forest" in your first blog post and you mentioned it again here. Did you forget the second day that you'd already seen it or did you get your days mixed up?

    I absolutely reacted when I saw your post, I think on IG, about Overlook Park because of the name. But I refrained from commenting.

    Alien elves! Hysterical.

    ReplyDelete