Friday, August 7, 2015

Smiles! Smiles!

Drum Corps International
Semifinals
Friday, August 7, 2015
Lucas Oil Stadium
Indianapolis, IN

We had breakfast at a restaurant connected to the hotel, called Yolk.  Mmmmm....eggs.   My Build-Your-Own Scramble was quite yummy, as was the bite that I had of V's crepe.  After resting in our room for a bit, we went to our home away from home, Tastings.  Our food was my favorite: Goat Cheese & Fig Pizza; Thai Peanut Chicken Skewers, and Spin Dip.  It was actually Spinach Dip, but the guy didn't say the second syllable.  It was weird.  I expected it to spin, but it just bubbled.

Wines we tried (denoted by * means we would have it again):
S: 2011 Grenache Blend "Bayonette" from Maury, France*
R: 2012 Michael David Winery "Earthquake" Cabernet Sauvignon from Lodi, CA*
V:  2013 Orin Swift "Machete" Red Blend from Napa Valley, CA*

R: 2013 Renato Ratti "Ochetti" Nebbiolo from Lanche, Italy*
S: 2012 Michael Mondavi Family "Oberon" Cabernet Sauvignon from Napa Valley*
V: 2013 Chateau Sainte Eulalie "Plaisir" from Minervois, France

S: 2011 C.H. Berres Riesling Kabinet from Mosel, Germany

I'm glad that they're still there for us to relax and try wines and be happy.

Then we walked over to Lucas Oil and picked up our packets for the Street Beat 5K before going inside the stadium.  

Our seats were in Section 139, Row 1, Seats 15-17.  That's right!  ROW.  ONE.  We were excited about seeing faces and other up-close kind of stuff.

The Star-Spangled Banner was sung by Sgt. First Class Patricia from the U.S. Army Band.

Top 12 corps are marked with * and go to Finals.

LEGENDS -- 70.25
I love all of the faces!  Grrr-like and happy, too!  Great job, drum line!
Legends Color Guard

CASCADES -- 71.275
Drum Majors move the Earth around.  I like the Jupiter/Black Hole Sun mash up, but it really needs to be in tune.  The color guard members have a star on their right eyes. Too many rifle drops for today.
Cascades

SPARTANS -- 71.5
They use that marching block thing.  I obviously don't know what it's called, but it sounds like a bunch of people marching.  Intense faces for most of the show, but then they end in happy smiles.  That soloist gets to wear a cape.

Spartans soloist

GENESIS -- 73.5
The pianist and his awesome facial expressions:  I. Just. Can't.  They have roses on their drums, and a rose on their sashes.  The pit members' bouncing reminded both me and Bro of Friends' Ross playing his keyboard.  If I'm this dizzy with the running around now, what will I be like later?
Difference in Expressions

PACIFIC CREST -- 74.925
Best I've heard them this year.  Feet not so much, though.  The Depeche Mode soloist was also the best I've heard him this year.  Great job, PC!  I was happy to cheer you from the front row!

Catalyst

MANDARINS -- 76.425
The clay (?) ball kept itself together today, and it didn't look so much like trash.  But I still didn't get it.  Great soprano ensemble portion!  Remember the dude in the pit whose hair matched his uniform at the beginning of the season?  Now it's just in the front of his hair.

TAIKO!!!



BLUE DEVILS B -- 77.175
I love that Doctor Who piece.  I also like the smile on the marimba player.  I was tired and I almost fell asleep.  Sorry, BDB.  I do like your show.

<Intermission>
Me to person at concessions:  What are onion chips?
Concessions employee:  They're like onion rings, but...chips.
Me:  I'll order one, then! 
They were yummy.

SPIRIT OF ATLANTA -- 78.25
The drum major was all intense during her salute, and she was crying at the end.  That's passion, man.  The pit members were intense, too.  This show is full of tragedies (the theme of the show, not the performance).  I'm hearing much more narration down here than I did yesterday.  That doesn't really make me happy.  

OREGON CRUSADERS -- 78.55
They have garland on their instruments, and a green design on their rifles.  Nice upper brass ensemble moment!  Great job, soprano soloist!  My interpretation is that the plants eat her in the morning.  My interpretation may be unique.

Dilly Dilly

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD CADETS -- 79.35
I yelled for Brandon.  REALLY LOUDLY.  I wonder if he heard me.  I wonder if he remembers that I said I would cheer for him when I met him last month.  Awesome job, SCVC!  They had only beat O Cru last night due to a penalty, but they also beat them tonight without penalties on O Cru.  What a nice ending to their season!

SCVC Drum Major Carl

ACADEMY -- 81.825
I had tears in my eyes as soon as they started the show.  Dan Potter stood in front of us, and sang "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" along with the corps.  Hey, so did I!  We didn't realize that the person playing Mary Poppins isn't always the same girl.  I enjoyed watching the drum major on the right.  I was weeping during "Feed the Birds".  It just means too much.  I'm going to miss this show.
Tap Away!

COLTS -- 83.025
It was kinda fun watching the radio show, but I wish it wasn't at the expense of drum corps.  I had to explain the ending to Bro and V:  bad guy goes after good guy that got the girl.  Friend of good guy and girl struggles with bad guy, and shoots.  He misses the bad guy, and the good guy dies.  Somewhere in there, instruments are played, and a song is sung that doesn't sound like it's from that era at all.  Bro:  "They don't need tubas anymore.  They've got synthesizers to do that stuff instead."  Sigh.  Positive note to show I'm not a total hater:  Nice rifle catch and swap between the Bad Guy and the Good Couple's friend.

Radio Heads

TROOPERS -- 83.8
V: If they insist on having someone sing, they should choose someone that doesn't have to run around because she's out of breath.
I think she was nervous, too.
Oops, that Trooper penned in the horses all emphatically, and all they did was break down the other fence and run off the field.  I would the horns more if I could hear them instead of hearing this singer on her microphone.

CROSSMEN -- 83.875*
Uh oh.  Something was wrong with their electronics, and they started late.  I guess they needed sound for the unnecessary vocalist.  I swear I didn't unplug anything, even if Tim coached me to do so.  Saw Bones this time.  Great sound, horn line!  Wow -- the timing penalty was 1.4.  They almost lost the Finals spot.
Crossmen

BLUE STARS -- 85.275*
That guy probably weighs 50 pounds and she's lifting him on her shoulders to let people throw rifles over him.  I didn't notice the narration before.  I'd rather go back to that, thank you.

Side Show Juggler

CRUSADERS -- 86.25*
The guy in back of us insists that this show is about Game of Thrones.  OK, sure!  I want that purple cloak!  The drum major salutes while holding what looks like it might be their original shako.  Great show, Boston!  Happy 75th anniversary!
Boston Crusaders DM

<Intermission>
My bag is wet because I didn't close my water pouch carefully, and now my money is wet, too.  Then I had issues trying to get food, so I ate a pretzel while being irritated.

CAVALIERS -- 88.4*
They move so fast that it's all a blur!  Great horn action.  There were a couple of rifle drops.  I like the studs on their statues.  Bro does not.  Oh.  A guy is singing "Run Boy Run".  The things you notice when you sit up in front! (I really should have noticed that yesterday, though).
I love this salute

MADISON SCOUTS -- 88.625*
The mobsters really like to play with the cutout lady in red.  The guy on the drum kit waved and blew kisses during the show.  One of the flags looks like the vests that the CG wears at the start of the show.  I love that last looooooooong note!

Gotta Dance

PHREGIMENT -- 89.775*
The show is growing on V.  She has one more day.  I don't remember the "Madames and Messieurs..." announcement.  Nor do I remember a male voice singing "I love Paris".  WHAT is happening?!  The shopping bag had printing on it that said, "No. 2015 Phantom Regiment".

Love the smiles!

BLUE KNIGHTS -- 91.15*
They waited a long time for those drums, remember?  At the end of the show, the drum majors get off of their podiums and kneel, facing the corps, while the final song ends in a decrescendo.  Beautiful show.
BK Drum Major


Dan Potter showed video of a guy named Brian who changes his shirt for every corps.  I remember that guy.

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD -- 93.425*
Those electricity balls on the marimbas are cool.  I finally watched the theremin in action.  The drum major gets to have red lights.  I love the intensity of this show!
Glow-y

BLUE DEVILS -- 96.625*
Last night's low score was due to a 0.5 penalty, and BD is back in the top 2.  Bro pointed out a visual proficiency thing for us last night, and I saw it, but can't describe it well.  Wolf butts!

I'm far too amused by this
 Those horns.  Just wow.

BLUECOATS -- 95.775*
WHAT  is this narrator talking about?  WHY is there a narrator?  Sopranos!  My goodness!  Great CG work, too.  Dude behind us:  "Wow.  That's sexy."  If you say so, dude.  I was not turned on at all.  Is it a guy thing?

Blooooo

CADETS -- 95.5*
Man, Hoppy can NOT keep still!  He walks all over the place, but it's cool to see how encouraging he is, like a coach at a basketball game.  That's why he has that nickname, I guess.  The DM did not salute.  I don't like that.  Those green/purple drums are cool.  They're just so clean!
Cadets Start of Show


CAROLINA CROWN -- 96.775*
That soprano solo is just GORGEOUS.  Big Ass Flags are Big.  Me to V about the rifle toss over the CG:  "She almost died."  They really don't need the synthesized choral singing during "Ode to Joy".  Great show, though!

Crown Drums

In exhibition:
Jim Ott Brass Ensemble
They played clips of old shows that were influenced by Jim Ott, while they played the familiar song.
  • Russian Sailors Dance -- 1973 Commodores
  • Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor -- 1976 Blue Devils
  • Georgia On My Mind -- 1980 Spirit
  • Let It Be Me -- 1980 Spirit
  • Malaguena -- 1980 Madison Scouts
Scholarships were announced, as well as the Hall of Fame.

Congratulations, Tom Blair!  Thank you for your innovation in the world of drum corps recordings!

Volunteers of the Year were announced, and a girl nearby yelled out, "THAT'S MY DAD!!!!"  Too cute.

Individual and Ensemble Winners included
  • Pacific Crest Brass Ensemble
  • Academy Bass Drum Ensemble
  • Academy Cymbal Ensemble
  • Snare Drummer Brandon Olander of Blue Devils -- that kid is damn good.
Age-Out Ceremony was led with a cadence from the Old Guard Fife and Drum Corps.  They're, like, 300 years old.

The last two scores were announced, and we saw a LOT of motorcyclists on our way home, due to a convention or something in town.  They were there last year, too, I think.

Bed time.  Got a 5K tomorrow, and it's more than a mile to the start line for us.

Next up:  Finals, already?!




No comments:

Post a Comment