Sunday, October 28, 2012

Tomorrow Is A Latter Day

The Book of Mormon
Sunday, September 30, 2012
7:00 p.m.
Pantages Theatre -- Los Angeles

I was a bit bummed that my plan to see this show fell on the same day as MouseAdventure, but with the temperature being in the 90s/100s, I was glad that I stayed away from Disneyland.  I had bought a ticket just for myself because I didn't want to wait for anyone to agree with me, for fear that the show would sell out.  I therefore got lucky and scored a seat that was at the end of  the second row, so I was close to the stage without having to spend the money for the highest-priced ticket.  My friends June and Marilee decided to join me, so we met at Marilee's house and carpooled to the theatre.  We had dinner in the very crowded Dillon's, where, of course, I ordered my Toasted Irishman.  It seemed stronger that day, but I didn't complain.  ;)  I had fish and chips, which were OK, but then it was too much fried food for the moment, and I just wanted to eat the fish.  Yes, I know that fish and chips is always, at least tradtionally, fried.  

The Street Cats were performing outside, but we didn't stop to listen.  Sorry, guys!  I need to make sure I'm in my seat for "The Book of Mormon"!
  • Oh, I didn't know that there was a prologue that happens before the first doorbell.  My giggles already started.
  • "Hello" had some lines that I never caught on the CD, but I can hear them now after I've seen the show.  Isn't it weird how that happens?  I love that song.
  • Gavin Creely, as Elder Price, is great as the Super Mormon that is about to change the world through his mission.  "Orlando!!!"
  • I think that every time I looked at Jared Gertner, I giggled, because I knew that he would say something funny just about every single time.  Even if he didn't have a line, though, I was giggling at his reactions.
  • I never really cared about "Turn It Off" until I saw it performed on stage.  OMG.  Hilarious.  Just click!  Grey Henson had me hysterically laughing at his actions.
  • Loved the texting gag, and Samantha Marie Ware's voice is lovely.
  • I also don't think that I caught that Elder Cunningham had SO many Star Wars references in his teachings.  He even had a Star Wars back pack.  When Vader showed up on stage, I just lost it.
  • "Spooky Mormon Hell Dream" was like watching an episode of "South Park".  So very much Matt and Trey.  The cups of Starbucks!  Hysterical.
  • Poor froggies.
  • I'm glad that my friends told me already about what Mormons believe, or I would have thought this was just a ridiculous show.  But it's quite heartfelt in a very strange way.
  • I love that there are ads for the real Book of Mormon in the Playbill.
Loved, loved, loved this show.  I wish I could see it many more times before the tour leaves L.A.  It was pretty much everything I hoped it would be:  great singing, great story, and utterly, offensively, HILARIOUS. 


No comments:

Post a Comment