Saturday, April 7, 2012

A Coal Miner's Daughter

I had some time before rehearsal the other day after work, so I went to the Arclight in Sherman Oaks for "The Hunger Games".  I had heard a lot of hype about it while it was being made, but I didn't really want to see the movie until I saw the trailer.  Then I knew I needed to see this thing.

  • I would like a Mockingjay pin, please.  I would also like to learn archery (Pixar's upcoming "Brave" is probably going to enhance that wish more later this year).
  • Loved the flaming dress.  I'd say that I want one of those, but I think that would be a little dangerous, even if the fire wasn't real.
  • Jennifer Lawrence continues to impress me.  I had first noticed her in "Winter's Bone", for which she received an Oscar nomination.  I love her portrayal of Katniss.
  • I really liked Seneca's facial hair.  I saw that there were many, many people credited for hairstyling on this film, and they did a superb job with all of the different strange styles.
  • I'm torn right now between Team Peeta and Team Gale.  I guess I'll need to see the sequels to decide on that.  
  • Lenny Kravitz.  Hummina.  Perhaps I'm Team Cinna instead.  I mean, I was so envious of Katniss when he kissed her on the cheek!  Sigh.
  • Elizabeth Banks and Stanley Tucci were also great in their roles, and, of course, so was Donald Sutherland.  What a great cast!  Oh, and Woody Harrelson!  Loved him.
  • I was quite tense during much of this movie.  When I wasn't tense, I was likely crying over something.  The scene with Katniss placing the flowers around Rue just had me bawling.
  • Those are some mean creatures (and mean circumstances) that they make in that competition world.
  • That whole concept of the Districts having to pay for their forefathers' uprising upsets me, as I"m sure it does many.  I really hope this all gets resolved by the end of the trilogy.
Great movie.  I can't wait until the next one.  Perhaps I'll read all of the books by then.  Until that time, though, may the odds be ever in your favor.

BTW, I'm in District 5: Power.  What district are you from?





No comments:

Post a Comment