Thursday, April 1, 2021

JL: Zack's Way

Back in 2017, I saw "Justice League" twice on opening weekend.  I liked the movie, and when it was announced that director Zack Snyder was going to fulfill his vision of the film with his director's cut, I looked forward to seeing that one, too.  All 4 hours and pennies of it.  I'm glad it was released on HBO Max so that I could pause if needed while I'm at home during the pandemic.  I got myself a blended iced hazelnut coffee from CBTL, and I was ready to go!

Because I was watching from home, and this was a long one, I decided to take notes as I watched, so my points below are in viewing order.  Different points of the film were prefaced by "Part 1..." so I'll include them here, too.  

  • The film starts with Superman screaming loud enough for everyone to hear, including underwater in Atlantea.
Part 1: Don't Count On It, Batman

  • We see Martha actually selling the farm (kind of a surprise in the cut version).  She and her dog Dusty get into the U-Haul and drive away.  
  • "Maybe a man who broods in a cave for a living isn't cut out to be a recruiter, hmmm?" 
  • Aw, Lois is wearing the engagement ring Clark was going to give her.
  • "WE HAVE NO FEAR!!!" 
  • Steppenwolf is much shinier than I remember.
Part 2: The Age of Heroes 

  • We actually have a callback to Lex Luthor's warning about barbarians at the gate. 
  • Gal looks so awesome in white...also, she doesn't get her clothing smudged at all, even when walking through ancient ruins.  She really is Wonder Woman.
  • Ooh...Steppenwolf back story!  Darkseid?  Uh-oh.  I thought Darkseid was the monster in Batman vs. Superman, but I guess not.  Lanterns!
Part 3:  Beloved Mother, Beloved Son
  • The closed captioning on my screen said "[imperceptible]" while a dog was barking on screen.  Pretty sure nobody else was talking at the time, but it seemed funny to me that maybe I was going to see a translation of a dog barking, or that most people can usually understand.
  • I was wondering what he was going to do with that hot dog.  Fast thinker, that Flash.
  • Was that Iris?!?!?!?
  • I like the song playing when they meet.
  • What happened to his shoes?  Do they always come off when he runs?
  • "I start on Monday?"
  • Batman: "More or less."  Diana: "More more, or more less?"  Batman: "Probably more less."
  • Ah, backstory on Cyborg.  Actually, a lot more on Cyborg throughout, which I enjoyed and now I like him.  I was pretty meh about him with the cut movie.
  • I want to ride in that silver Mercedes Batmobile!  I mean, if Bruce drives it, and it has bat wings, isn't it a Batmobile?
  • Alfred teaching Diana to make tea!
  • A black lasso would be awesome.
  • Gotham and Commissioner Gordon!  And now that bat signal appearance makes more sense.
Part 4: Change Machine
  • This whole scene of the hostages on Stryker's Island is new.  I remember something about them being in this structure, but I don't remember hostages.  
  • "I belong to no one." Yasss, girl.
  • "But only a mother box can turn smoke back into a house."  And now Sherry understands how they brought back Superman.  It's a good thing, too, because we are now 2 hours and 15 minutes into the movie and still no Supes.
  • Martian Manhunter?!?!?!  YES!!!
Part 5: All the King's Horses
  • "She's five thousand years old, Barry.  Every guy's a younger guy."
  • Why is there a pregnancy test in Lois' night stand?
  • I love how Supes just moves over so Flash runs right past him and crashes into Aquaman.
  • I thought Star Labs was in Central City.  So how is it in Metropolis with the Kryptonian ship?  But now I get to see how Lois knew to go to the memorial site.
Part 6: Something Darker
  • I take that as a "yes".
  • Aww, the voices of his dads!  Not as cool as all of the Jedi voices, but still a nice touch.
  • I like Victor's letterman's jacket.
  • That was a very different final battle.  Like, no small European town or race between Supes and Flash.
Epilogue
  • New suit, Supes?  I like the silver S.
  • What is going on with this ending?!?
  • OK, so Deathstroke was Robin?  I don't know all of the different Robins.
  • Hello, Jared Leto!
  • Lois?  What is this news?  ACK! That's why she's the key?
  • Nice credit music with piano rendition of Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah"...then the singing started and I didn't like it anymore.
  • That WAS Iris!  It's helpful to read credits, y'all.
I prefer this version over the other cut version.  Everything made a lot more sense to me, including Steppenwolf's motivation to want to kill everyone on Earth.  I'm looking forward to the Flash movie, hoping something from the Barry/Iris meeting is included in it.


No comments:

Post a Comment