Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Listening to Stillness

The next Oscar-nominated Best Picture film I watched was "Sound of Metal", which I viewed on Amazon Prime. 

  • Scary how rapidly the hearing loss progressed.  You know when someone asks which of the 5 senses you would least like to lose?  Hearing is my choice, mostly because I'm a musician and I know I'd get very depressed if I couldn't hear it the same way anymore.
  • I wonder if a lot of people that are not familiar with a neighborhood go to a pharmacist for help when they don't know how to get to a doctor.
  • I was, like, "Hey, that's Art3mis from 'Ready Player One'!" I almost didn't recognize her when her eyebrows were blonde, though.
  • Riz Ahmed is quite deserving of his Best Actor nomination.  I enjoyed seeing his growth as he learned how to communicate with the rest of the people at the facility, and totally understood why he would want to get his surgery anyway.
  • Loved seeing them race to complete the alphabet in ASL, as well as seeing him teach them to play the drums.
  • When Joe said, "You sound like an addict", that was exactly what I was thinking.  i really liked Paul Raci's portrayal of Joe.
  • I really liked the way the audience was allowed to hear the progression of the sound loss, even though it was scary to me.  After he had the implant surgery and started to hear again, I had tears in my eyes.
  • I wish more people could enjoy moments of stillness.  Me included, yes, but also most people I know.
Great film.  If it doesn't get an award for sound, then I don't understand that category at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment