Saturday, March 6, 2021

Burden of Proof

 I started to watch "The Little Things" on HBO Max one evening, and the opening scene frightened me, so I turned it off in order to watch it in the daytime instead.  So I watched it during the day and it turns out the scene wasn't actually that scary.  Oh, well.

  • I like the way era was set by showing the old phones on the desks at the police station, and all of the older model vehicles, instead of hitting you in the face with a "1990!!!".  
  • I kept thinking to myself, "This would have been a lot easier if he could just text Denzel's character to warn him that he was leaving" (the stakeout point).
  • Jared Leto is very good at being creepy.
  • I mean, that whole thing with them kind of playing cat and mouse on the freeway?  That was creepy.
  • I much prefer this cop Denzel over "Training Day" cop Denzel.
  • Pretty sure I wasn't the only one who wondered why the heck Rami Malek's character had his back to Jared Leto's character while he was digging and his gun was clearly exposed.  Dude, he's too close to you!  (I'm sensitive to personal space anyway, but even more so due to the pandemic.)
  • I miss when the freeways had so few cars on them.
  • All three of the main actors in this film had great performances, and I wouldn't expect anything less.
  • So he just left all of those photos on the wall of his motel room?
I liked the psychological theme of this movie, highlighting how detectives can become obsessed with cases.  And now I'm thinking (SPOILER!!!)..."Oh, they left me unresolved so that I could be like them!"  Ohhhh, I get it now.

1 comment:

  1. I thought it was a disservice to Rami's character that he just blithely went with Jared, with Jared driving and Rami having no idea where they were going and with no backup. Dude, you think he's a murderer and you're just going to let him drive you off to the desert. And even when it was clear that Jared was messing with him, digging so many holes to tire him out, Rami just kept doing it. I didn't like that.

    I would like Denzel to stop playing cops that do bad things but justify it to themselves.

    ReplyDelete