Sunday, March 21, 2021

Credit where Credit is Due

 It's Oscar season!  I've already watched a couple of the films nominated for Best Picture, so once the nominations were announced, I had 7 left to watch before the big night.  First to watch: "Mank".

  • I like the way they did this in black and white, like it would have been done in the days of "Citizen Kane".
  • Victorville sure looked a lot different back then.
  • At first, I was a little bit confused about what was going on because of the jumps in the timeline, but I got used to it quickly.  
  • I get that he called his wife "Poor Sara", but why did everyone else call her that?
  • I've been to Hearst Castle, but I forgot how huge it was.  Seeing people sitting in the dining room made it seem even bigger somehow, because now we can see the comparison of the room to the people in it.  
  • Gary Oldman is very much in his element here, and I like it!  He plays the drunk, issues-filled guy well.
  • I also liked Amanda Seyfried in her role as Marion, because she was outspoken in a time when it wasn't very much accepted.  She was apologetic about it, which in these days she wouldn't have to be so much.  I especially liked her final line.
  • Interesting to see the politics of that day, and the opinions about Hitler on the rise.
  • I realized that I don't know my California history well because all I knew was that Upton Sinclair does not become governor, not who actually won the election.
  • Who says "give me the gun", and then is OK with walking away with just the bullets?
  • "If I go to the electric chair, I'd like him to be sitting in my lap."
  • I need to see "Citizen Kane" soon.  I don't think I've seen more than the last scene.
Good movie, wish I had seen it on the big screen to get the full effect.  I know it was made for Netflix, but I still would like to see San Simeon as huge.

No comments:

Post a Comment