Sunday, January 31, 2021

The Whole World Is Watching

 I've been wanting to watch "The Trial of the Chicago 7" for a while, but finally watched it tonight on Netflix.

  • 10 minutes into the movie, I realized I was probably looking at this with a really different than eye if I had watched it before January 6, 2021.
  • This judge is a mess!  Frank Langella's performance reminds me of when he played Nixon in "Frost/Nixon".  Ooh, now I want to watch that again.
  • Mark Rylance!  Yay!
  • I had tears in my eyes when Bobby Seale was restrained and gagged.  I was also pissed.
  • Great cast, and none of them disappointed me. 
  • I also love the writing, which is not a surprise, given that I'm a fan of Aaron Sorkin and he's the reason I wanted to watch this in the first place.
  • "This is the Academy Awards of protests and as far as I'm concerned it's an honor just to be nominated."
  • "If you don't win elections, it doesn't matter what's second. And it is astonishing to me that someone still has to explain that to you."
  • "In this country, we do it every four years."
So they were charged with crossing state lines with the intent to incite a riot, or conspire to do so.  This is why I would have seen this with a different eye before 1/6/2021;  a different eye, but sadly, not a surprised one.

Great movie.  So now this is on my list of "courtroom drama must-see movies".  Others on that list:  "The Accused", and "A Few Good Men".  

No comments:

Post a Comment