Sunday, January 3, 2021

We're Jazzing

 I watched "Soul" via Disney+ on Christmas Day.

  • Loved, loved, LOVED the opening logo with the middle school band class rendition of the Disney theme.
  • Jon Baptiste's music was as awesome as I expected.  Love that jazz piano that I've become familiar with during his musical stylings on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.
  • I was kind of irritated by Joe's attitude, and after talking to a teacher about the movie, I think I understand why: I didn't like the fact that he saw his day job as a last resort.
  • "Quiet Coyote"?
  • I loved that they showed that anyone's souls, not just those of artists, can transcend to The Zone because of something they love to do. (Aw, the poor Knicks!)
  • I also didn't like that Dorothea looked down on him being a middle school teacher before she actually heard him play.
  • So funny how Joe (as Mr. Mittens) sits on the subway seat.
  • I felt like I was left hanging at the end, but I suppose that was intentional.

I watched the movie again as I wrote this, and I liked it more the second time. 

1 comment:

  1. It wasn't what I was expecting based on the trailer, and I liked it more than I thought I would. I am interested in seeing it again to see how I react to it now that I know where it's going. I didn't really like that he got a do-over cause I didn't think it was fair. And he'd learned the lesson that he needed to.

    ReplyDelete