Sunday, February 2, 2020

Singing in the Shipyard

The Last Ship
Tuesday, January 14, 2020
Ahmanson Theatre
Los Angeles, CA

KP wasn't able to use her tickets to see "The Last Ship", so she gave them to me for Bro and V to use.  Thanks, KP!!  She had tickets for another day, too, so I'm glad for that.  I arrived at the Music Center a little bit early, so I bought a glass of wine and a cookie while I waited for the doors to open to the theatre.  Construction recently completed, which included a new fountain, so I just watched that while I played my game on my phone.


Sting is on a theater poster, y'all.

The doors were opened and Bro and V hadn't arrived yet, so I walked around to read the walls, which had some historic photos of performers at the Music Center.

Little did he know back then that he would
be the voice of Vader.

Prior to almost causing a
Global Thermonuclear War

Bro snuck up on me and I ignored his attempt to say hello to me, because I'm used to ignoring people in Downtown LA.  Sorry about that, Bro.  When V joined us, we went to our seats, which were first row balcony, so it was kind of scary for me to be close to the edge, but I liked our view.

Thank you, KP!

It was opening night in LA, but I forgot to look for famous people in the lobby. 

The orchestra is on the stage
as they were for Dear Evan Hanson.

Most of the cast was on stage prior to the show, and they waved to people in the audience, including us.  I'm just letting you know this because SOMEBODY said it would be entered on a blog somewhere.

  • Lots of applause as soon as Sting entered the stage.  He did not disappoint!
  • I loved Frances McNamee's voice!  She played Meg, and she made me cry, maybe two or three times.
  • When they started speaking with their accents, V was concerned that she wouldn't be able to understand what was going on in the show.  Same here, but we eventually got used to the cadence of their speech.
  • I don't know how they dance in those heavy boots.
  • I wonder if the character of Ellen is supposed to represent Sting, since she is a musician and wants to follow that dream.
  • So did Meg just not want to even tell Gideon that she was having his baby?  Maybe he would have come home...or maybe she was afraid that even if he knew, he wouldn't come home.  Of course, I concentrated more on the romance part of the show more than the whole shipyard ordeal.  
  • The special effects of the set were really cool.  I especially liked the silhouettes during "When We Danced".

Curtain Call
I looked at the price of the vinyl album autographed by Sting, but the $100.00 price tag was too pricey for me.  So I kept with the magnet that I bought because I liked the stained glass design in the background.

I liked the poignancy of the show, and I think Sting did a great job, as did all of the performers.  

"The Last Ship" runs through February 16, 2020.  Go see him before he goes to his residency in Vegas!



No comments:

Post a Comment