Friday, June 26, 2020

Hell Is Empty, and All the Devils are Here

Today would have been Corps at the Crest San Diego, the first of the SoCal DCI competitive shows.  I'm bummed out that I don't get to take the short road trip down to Oceanside with Bro and Rudy, ready to see Rudy's reaction upon seeing the shows for the first time, as well as seeing what has changed in the previous 5 days.  

Strangely, Blue Devils never attends this show because they have an ongoing prior commitment.  So, of course, the rebel in me decided to showcase them today.  

Trying to figure out my favorite Blue Devils show is difficult, because even when I really like a show, there is usually at least one element that annoys me, preventing me from fully loving the show.  It's usually the ballad, but not always.  Sometimes it's the props.   

First, let's tune those instruments.

My first time to see the Blue Devils live was their "Casablanca" show in 1997 (one of Bro's favorite BD shows), and the second time was in 1998, "One Hand, One Heart".  I love this show!  The music is from "West Side Story" and Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet", and I love the way the arranger mashed them together.  I think this is my favorite BD show, mostly for the music, and I also like the story.

Here is a video from the front sidelines at Finals, and here's another one of just the last minute, so you can see the formation of the heart from up above.

I've watched the Blue Devils win many, many championships.  TEN of them.  I feel privileged that I've seen their shows evolve from start of the season to end, and also annoyed because they win so much!  I find it interesting that the BD shows I like the most are actually the ones that didn't win the championship.  

My top 5 BD shows, in no particular order, with a link to a video for each but the first one:

  • 1998 "One Hand, One Heart" -- 3rd place
  • 2000 "Methods of Madness" -- 3rd place
    • I love the music to this show, and most of the visuals, particularly when they're playing Bernard Hermann's the 3 short trumpet blasts for "Psycho", and the movements of the sabers as if they're stabbing someone.  I do not like the visuals during "Vertigo" with the weird purple sheets.  But hey, take a look at this marimba feature, leading to the end of the show.
  • 2015 "Ink" -- 1st place
    • Drummers on ladders!
    • Spinning rifles on ladders!
    • That K-Pop dance!
    • Those wacky bushy tails!
    • Where did that little girl come from?!
  • 1999 "Rhythms...at the Edge of Time" -- 1st place (tie with SCV)
    • This is the year that the lights went out in the stadium during BD's performance at Precision West.  They're so good that they kept going anyway.  I wasn't there, but there is video evidence!  I think Bro was at that show.  What a cool moment to witness.
  • 2006 "The Godfather: Part BLUE" -- 3rd place
    • The thing that I don't like about this show is the recorded bits of talking, and it almost didn't make this list, but I do enjoy the music.  Dude, we get that it's Godfather.  We don't need dialogue.  My favorite formation is of the gun firing a bullet.  Also: horse head flags.
I do love the talent that BD brings to the field.  I respect the heck out of the performers and the staff.  I look forward to seeing at least 20 more years of BD, even if they do win 10 more times.  :)

Of course, I could not have a tribute to BD without including a piece from their very first win, in 1976:  "Legend of the One-Eyed Sailor".  Love that drum major!



Next up: The Crest

No comments:

Post a Comment