Monday, June 29, 2020

Corpse of Corps, er...Course

Tonight would have been the Western Corps Connection in Riverside or San Bernardino, whatever.  It's usually the last night that the World Class Corps compete in SoCal, and the night I go into withdrawal for a month.  But that won't happen today, because I've been in withdrawal since last August.  So let's help me out by taking a dive into the wonder that is The Academy's 2016 show, "Drum Corpse Bride".

I've been enjoying The Academy shows since they first came on the scene as an Open Class corps, or what we called back then: Division II.  I was very impressed with their musicianship, which was to be expected, considering their pedigree of former Phantom Regiment staff.  They soon became part of the World Class corps contingent, and got really cool uniforms that were longer than the traditional ones, with double breasted waistcoats, which were probably very warm in the Arizona sun.  They did some very entertaining shows, tackling Disney and Warner Bros themes leading up to this one.

Blog from my first viewing of the show: MidCal Champions

THE ACADEMY
Repertore: "Drum Corpse Bride" --Corpse Bride Main Titles by D. Elfman; Romeo & Juliet by S. Prokofiev; Sorcerer's Apprentice by P. Dukas; Suggestion Diabolique by S. Prokofiev; Unchained Melody by A. North & H. Zaret

The announcer said "Drum Corps Bride", which does not have the same effect as the proper pronunciation.  Bro prepared me for this show, saying that he loves it from looking at the snapchat feed.  I love it, too!  Awesome themeing throughout, with the pre-show of the wedding, the creepy cool wedding gown, the CG dressed as Death, the CG males wearing the perfectly-hued suits, and the muted purple cumberbunds on the corps uniforms.  Heart formation was pretty and not the standard.  Cross formation - Sherry yelled "YEAH!!!" "Unchained Melody" was very nice.  When the chairs are turned around, they become grave markers.  Xylophones on their chests like they are skeletons!  The set in back is really cool.  I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this show as we see it progress.  Easily the crowd favorite of the evening.  Bro figured he saw what he wanted to see and we could leave.  I told him to at least hang on for SCV, since that is his favorite corps.

Academy Wedding

Yup, I loved the show at first sight.  I would share video with you from that night, but the one that I found has a child talking through some of it, as well as somebody's head in it most of the time.


THE ACADEMY
Bro and I discussed the movie earlier in the day because it had been a long time since I saw "Corpse Bride".  We saw that there were 2 weddings, but it wasn't the same as in the movie.  Bro forgot to look for butterflies, but we figured there weren't any because of the difference.  I'm going to listen for the cool crescendo/decrescendo that Bro is talking about, although I did hear the end of the decrescendo down to one snare drum.  There are wedding rings on the flags.  They move really fast to get to a kneeling position at one point.  I'm glad I get to see this show several more times.

Chest Xylophones
Blog from my third viewing: Moonlight Classic

ACADEMY
Beautiful "Unchained Melody" solo.  OH!  "Ghost"!!!  That's the other reason they're playing this song.  I get it.  Bro told me later that there is a ghost formation.  I'll have to look for that.  I think I may have seen it but didn't think about it.  Heart beats with the big bass drum and the corps moving with each beat.  Very cool. Unlike the movie, there are no butterflies at the end of this show.
Time is eternal for those who love
Blog from Fourth Viewing: Corps at the Crest / Oceanside

THE ACADEMY
Death starts from the left side now instead of the right upper corner.  Awesome guard:  here, let me carry this girl on my back, toss up my saber really high, and catch it with one hand without dropping the girl.  The xylophone players at the graves now wear skulls on their heads so that when they look down at their chests to play, they look like skeletons.  Love the added effect!  That "Unchained Melody" solo was gorgeous.  I've missed this show.



(The reason I wrote "I've missed this show" is because Academy was not at SCV Family Day or the one with all of the encores and no competition that we had attended earlier in the week.)

Fifth viewing of the show: Corps at the Crest / Rose Bowl

THE ACADEMY
A bit dirty, but I just love this show.  I didn't see a ghost formation, so I guess there isn't one. This was Dodie's favorite show of the evening. I think it was Tim's, too.  He loves the choices that the corps has been making in the least few years, and they are becoming one of his favorites.  Their music is familiar but they skew it in a way that is unique.  I mean, who else would think to turn the Death March melody into "Here Comes the Bride"?  The Academy's shows are just so entertaining and understandable that they make it hard not to love them.  I wouldn't be surprised if someone from Disney was on the design staff.  If only they were cleaner, they'd probably make it to Finals night.  Bro is getting sad because he knows that he'll only get to see the show in person 3 more times.  

Wedding Ring Flags
So then they had time to work on their show before we saw them again.

Here's the trumpet/flugelhorn soloist cam from a few days before Finals.  Yes, THAT soloist!  My favorite, playing "Unchained Melody".

Blog from Sixth viewing: DCI Prelims

THE ACADEMY -- 87.15*
Gorgeous. The show was spot on. The changes made the show even better: the circle of chairs, the individual corps members dancing with the bride, the heart around the chairs at the end...beautiful. I recalled what the GE judge on the IndyGo shuttle said about this show: "it's always a cool feeling to be the fan favorite." And look at that score! I'm hoping that we were wrong when they left So Cal in July, and that we WILL get to see them on Finals night. It seems that we're not the only ones hoping for this.



Here is the field judge's tape from that night, although it is just audio and a still of the big heart formation.  I do not understand a lot of the drumspeak, but I like how excited he gets about the drama. "The macabre 'bones" xylophones.  That is really just brilliant...playing the melodic tempo with an eerie sound."

Blog from Seventh Viewing: DCI Semifinals

ACADEMY -- 87.225*
I. Can't. Even. with this Academy show.  As soon as the marimbas played the opening notes of "Unchained Melody", the tears started to well up in my eyes.  Then that beautiful solo hit, and the tears fell.  WOW.  The tombstones today included the names of this year's age-outs, according to Dan Potter's interview with the drum major.  V had overheard them talking about this at the booth yesterday, and it was a surprise to the corps.  We are really, really excited that The Academy has made it to Finals for the first time.  We get to see the show again!  YAY!!!!!!  Congratulations, Academy!





Let's warm up those horns for the last show.  I especially like their arrangement of the Doxology.

Blog from Eighth Viewing: DCI Finals!!!!!  

THE ACADEMY
Wow, nice ovation for them as they entered the stadium for their very first Finals night.  Announcer Brandt Crocker:  "Performing their 2016 program, 'Drum Corpse Bride', Drum Corpse International is proud to present The Academy!"  So awesome that he even said "corpse" for DCI, and he got a good reaction from the crowd.  The "Unchained" soloist blew a kiss to the camera afterward.  He's so dreamy!  I do not recall hearing one wrong note in all of the times that I've seen this show, live or online.  He has been amazing this whole season.  I was weeping by the end of the show.  I mean, I always cry at weddings, but this is ridiculous how much emotion they generate for the audience in their 15 minutes on the field.  The lead CG tossed her bouquet from the DM stand.  Their pit vehicle had a "Just Married" sign and a string of cans on the back.  I heart you, Academy, and pledge to thee my love.

Retreat:
Academy brought their tombstones/chairs, and they received a standing ovation when they were announced to enter the stadium for their first Finals appearance
The Academy
Scores:
11) 86.10 -- The Academy
 (They received a standing ovation, and the other corps applauded them.  Awesome).

I like this synopsis about the show/Academy.

So that was my view of Academy's storied first season at Finals.  I hope they get to go back someday!

No comments:

Post a Comment