Friday, December 27, 2019

Anything Mentionable is Manageable

I was behind on my movie watching (and now the blogging about it!), so Linda and I decided to have a double feature one day at the AMC at the mall in the heart of shopping season.  The first on the list:  "A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood".


  • When the movie started, I thought, "Am I going to buy into Tom Hanks being the beloved Mr. Rogers?"  I don't know why I had any doubts.  As soon as he changed his shoes and did the shoe toss, I was hooked, and tears welled up in my eyes, thinking of my childhood.
  • Was I the only one that laughed at the picture of Mr. Rogers' new friend, face all busted up?  I mean, I don't remember seeing pictures of people like that on his show.
  • Loved all of the shots of the neighborhood building and vehicle models.
  • Seeing Daniel and King Friday in the suitcase made me cry.  That's all it takes, folks!
  • Maybe it was planned, but I did like how the scene with the tent became a lesson in not being able to do everything by yourself, and needing help for some stuff.
  • If Mr. Rogers would have come watch me play the violin and ask questions about it, I would have been too nervous and I'd drop my violin.
  • I also would have lost it if he walked through my front door, just like Lloyd's family did.
  • "Lloyd, please don't ruin my childhood."
  • I also cried a LOT when the people on the subway sang the theme song to Mr. Rogers.  What a sweet moment!  I'm even teary as I write this.
  • That minute of silence:  powerful.  I wish folks could do that more, especially nowadays in our overstimulated world.
  • "Anything mentionable is manageable."  You hear that, all you folks afraid of Voldemort?
I really enjoyed this movie, and look forward to reading the original article upon which it is based.  Thanks for the link, Linda!

No comments:

Post a Comment