Tuesday, June 25, 2019

There's No Place Like NotSacramento

Pacific Procession
Monday, June 24, 2019
Santa Clara High School
Santa Clara, CA

We ate our leftover blueberry coffeecake from Hobee's in the morning, and relaxed until hotel check-out time.  Yes, we had leftovers.  Those slices are huge.

We still had a few hours to go before gates would open at SCHS, so we found a place to eat via Yelp.  I figured we could eat tapas and just get dinner later on if we wanted stuff from the food trucks.  So we went to Rootstock, which is a wine bar.  Bro decided to order a beer flight, so, not to be outdone, I ordered a white wine flight.  

A white blend from Pessoa in Portugal,
 a Riesling from Urban in  Germany,
and a Chenin Blanc from Foxen in  California

I don't know the order, but he ordered:
Bare Bottle Fjord Mustang Hazy;
 Booth LGBTQ Smoothie IPA;
and Drake's Aromacoma DIIPA

We both enjoyed our drinks and food, pictured below.  I don't know which ones paired well with which beers for Bro, but my favorite tastes are noted.

Cocino Melango Empanada Trio
The Riesling went well with all of them.
Bro really enjoyed the chimichurri sauce and
poured it over his arugula salad.

Bacon Balsamic Deviled Eggs
I enjoyed these with the Chenin Blanc.

Monte Sereno Flatbread:
 prosciutto, goat cheese, pear,
 arugula, and balsamic vinegar
This paired very well with the Portugal blend.

We sat outside, and it was a very nice day, so we decided to relax for awhile.  Also, Bro was in no shape to drive.  Then he wanted to get dessert at Meet Fresh.  He asked if there was a kid-sized dessert.  I wasn't ready yet for dessert, so I got a table for us.  Then this is what he picked up: a Q Mochi Shaved Ice.  It is not Devil's Tower.  It is Kid Size if by that you mean "the size of a small child".  I had a taste of the ingredients, which I think were mochi, jelly noodles, gelatinous rice balls, and shaved ice with condensed milk, and it was tasty.  Bro enjoyed it very much.

Aliens Are Coming

Bro had sobered up by the time he was done, and we made our way to Santa Clara High School for Santa Clara Vanguard Family Day, also known as Pacific Procession.  This year, SCV was not hosting another corps, as in previous years.  The corps they probably would have hosted is the Cavaliers, but they were already on their way down for a special show in LA.  

We sat in the same section as whichever corps members were not rehearsing at the time.  I enjoy this day because of the enthusiasm and support the corps give each other, even when I don't understand the inside jokes.  These kids give their all during the summer, and they make lifelong friends, and it's a joy for me to watch, remembering my camaraderie with my college choir folks.  I also love that it's my favorite corps, hanging out and being Vanguard.  

Happy Fans in our Happy Place


Dress Rehearsal

Vanguard Cadets
My bestie is here!  The current drum major showed him some video so that he would know when to do the "VANGUARD!!!" yell.  They did not just standstill during the last piece, but instead did some dance moves, so it looks like they are progressing with their choreography.  That was a loud VAAAANNNNNGUAAAAARRRRRD!!!! yell, what with 150 of their corps sisters and brothers plus some of us fans knowing when to do it.  

 I like those primary colors flags

Cymbals doing that shimmery thing

Somebody was being told to "put your guns away".  Bro said this means "put on your shirts".  I guess they were saying that to SCVC after their rehearsal, because lots of guys in SCV had just taken off their shirts.

SCV
As they were setting up the field, a group of SCVC members were yelling at the second DM:  "TURN A-ROUND! TURN A-ROUND!"  He turned around as he took off his shirt, and all were happy.  He smiled.  We got to hear the last piece of the show...maybe?  You never know with this corps.  

A bunch of them also yelled out, "GO, SCVC PRO!!!"

Mellophone Ensemble

Sousaphone Solo

Brass King

Trumpet Quartet

SCV Bass Drum Cadence

Then the two corps rehearsed their encore together.

Panorama of Encore Rehearsal
Both horn lines and battery

We had a long wait due to the dinner break, so Bro and I took turns walking around.  I bought new SCV sweats with a 67 on them, and got our snacks and water.  

The Santa Clara Big Band played.  Bestie!  He's one of the trumpeters.  Or at least he was a guest trumpeter, I don't know, because he graduated from this high school.  Bro told me that Corps Director Charlie is leaving CA, so this is probably his last performance in the Big Band for us.  Sadness.  I like Charlie, and he's done a whole lot for SCV.  I was pleased that they performed "Orange-Colored Sky".  I love that song.

Charlie and his Porkpie Hat

Can you spot Bestie?


Then it was time for the corps performances.

VANGUARD CADETS
Voice of DCI Brandt Crocker was present, so they asked him to announce the corps.  Then he said they were from Sacramento, California, and the entire audience groaned.  Uh oh.  Brandt, you are IN Santa Clara!  I forgot to do the yell.  Duh.  Perhaps I was thinking that I should be watching the Mandarins.  We saw the dancing again, this time in uniforms. It needs work to get in unison.  What happened to their props?  They had them for the rehearsal, and during the show they mimed like they were moving them around.  I found that odd until Bro told me later that the reason Bestie seemed to rush out on the field to help during rehearsal was that somebody didn't move one (maybe someone was missing), and another person tripped over it and fell.  Maybe someone was out sick or injured and they didn't want to risk another person falling down today.


Salute

Flags again, with uniforms

Dance, SCVC, Dance!


Brandt said, "I realized I pulled a big Stupid awhile ago.  I apologize for my actions."

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD
Brandt:  "From SANTA. CLARA. CALIFORNIA, just so we knew that he knew where he was.  We forgive you, BC!  Wait.  Leobardo also does the duet with the trumpet player before his trombone solo.  He's so busy, running around and doing solos, like, "Oh,hi, here I am, ready to play for your listening pleasure.  AGAIN."  I'll take it!  He's so freaking awesome.

Color Guard Start of Show

I wonder if their skirt things (aprons?) have stuff in them.
Like, you know, gum.

Mello ensemble, with uniforms

She's awesome

Mike & Leo Duet

That quartet again, with uniforms




Encore

My video isn't as good from this show because someone sat in front of me and blocked my view.  Nevertheless, here you go.

Vanguard Cadets and SCV playing "The Canyon", conducted by the SCVC drum major


Vanguard Cadets and SCV playing "Send in the Clowns", conducted by the SCV drum major



We left so that we could get home, and saw this beautiful sky as we got into the car.

There's No Place Like Santa Clara

We also ended up behind this car for a little bit.

Wish I could have a pic of this car beside Bro's car

We made it to Bro's house by 2:00 a.m., then I drove home. Thank goodness there was no traffic on the way home, because I just wanted to get home and sleep.

Next drum corps post:  Corps at the Crest - San Diego


No comments:

Post a Comment