Saturday, December 22, 2018

Trip A Little Light Fantastic

Today I wore my "Step In Time" shirt from The Academy's Mary Poppins-themed show for "Mary Poppins Returns".  I don't know what was going on with me today, but I then proceeded to stop paying attention to the drink machine and spilled all over the place, ice and all.  Embarrassing.  Then the mustard wasn't dispensing correctly and I worried that I would get it all over my shirt.  It didn't happen, thank goodness, and I made my way to the top row in the Dolby theater, which I had all to myself!  Nice!  I should have put something on each chair just because I could, but then I'd have to pick it all up later, so never mind.

New trailers to me today:  Avengers 4 (no, I did not watch it when it was first released online), and The Lion King. Oh, and Find Bernadette.  I wasn't paying attention to that one, so I don't know yet if I want to see it, but I am looking forward to the other two.  The Lion King already had me teary, as it always does with that opening music.

On to the Poppins!


  • Nice castle logo set in London.
  • I'm going to blame TLK for getting me prepped for all of the emotion, because I almost started crying at just the first song.
  • And then Michael sang his song, and I reached for a tissue because I didn't want to look like a mess after this movie since I had other stuff to do.  
  • Then he threw away the snowglobe (with the Votes for Women sash on the kite!) and that did not help my sadness.
  • I liked all of the music, and I really liked how they interspersed elements of the score from the original film. I almost lost it completely when I heard "Feed the Birds".
  • Oh, that lady asking for directions was the original Jane?!?!
  • "One thing you should know about Mary Poppins: she never explains anything."
  • I figured the books in "A Cover is Not the Book" must have had something to do with P.L. Travers.  It turns out that they were chapters in "Mary Poppins".
  • I beamed when I saw that Jack was calling his fellow leeries because I knew that meant a "Step in Time"-like segment was coming.  I was not disappointed!  Loved seeing some of the SiT choreography in there, too!
  • Emily Blunt was practically perfect in every way as MP.  I loved all of her little looks and her fake denials of the ridiculous things the children claimed to happen.
  • Nice detail during the segment on the cup, and I loved how the clothes looked like they were drawn instead of sewn.
  • I would like to have a copy of Mary Poppins' shoes, please.
  • I think I need to play Topsy's song on Topsy Turvy Day in a couple of weeks.
  • "When the world turns upside down, the best thing is to turn right along with it."
  • The original set paintings!  Still gorgeous, especially that last shot as she flies away.
  • Oh, that "The Place Where Lost Things Go" song put me over the edge and soaked my tissue, especially when the kids sang it to Michael.
  • "Nothing's gone forever, only out of place."
  • It's just not Mary Poppins without Nackvid Keyed, and I'm glad he was there and dancing!
What a beautiful movie!  I need to get that soundtrack so I can keep on crying.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, Michael's song in the attic was killer, and that bit of Feed the Birds did kill me. I thought of you during the end sequence because I figured there was a specific element that would make you not like it as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that specific element did not whelm me. I'm fine remembering my childhood without one of those, thankyouverymuch.

      Delete