Monday, September 19, 2011

The Sing-Off Season 3: Season Premiere Pt. 1

"The Sing-Off" is back, and now it's on for a full season!  Oh, boy, I'm going to be busy on Monday nights!  I'll be blogging as I watch, and will only post on a different day than it airs if I'm not home to watch the show live.

Let's meet the groups, shall we?  

Group Number: "Less Than Perfect" by Pink
Kinfolk 9 from Los Angeles, CA
Urban Method from Denver, CO
Delilah from Los Angeles, CA
Vocal Point from Brigham Young University
Cat's Pajamas from Branson, MO
Afro-Blue from Howard University
Fannin Family from Hortonville, MI
Yellowjackets from University of Rochester

OK, I'm excited now.  Pella's JT is rooting for Cat's Pajamas.  I am not rooting for anyone yet, but I like the Yellowjackets' bright yellowness.  I'm really interested in hearing the Fannin Family's blend, because I like hearing families do harmony.

Host Nick Lachey is back, and introducing the judges:
Ben Folds is back.  Nicole is not (yay!).  Shawn Stockman is also back, the one guy on the panel that can actually sing a cappella.  Oh, yeah, and 3rd judge Sara Bareilles actually sang at UCLA in an a cappella group, so there's that (I'm not crazy about her voice, though).

The Yellowjackets showed us the University of Rochester.  The group is all-male, and their name is due to their school mascot.  

Yellowjackets: "Wavin' Flag" by K'Naan
This song was played at the World Cup, and is inspiring to the 'jackets, whom went to Kenya and met people there.  Cute handkerchiefs, guys.  Hummmm.  I love African music.  They did a great job with this song, beautiful harmony.  Shawn loved it, too.  Yyyyyyy JAY!

The Fannin Family shows off their cuteness in their rural town.  They even name their family names together!

Fannin Family: "Who Says" by Selena Gomez
There just isn't a more pure blend than the vocal blend of a family.  Just ask the Osmonds and the Jacksons and the Jets.  Yeah, I wrote "The Jets".  Anyway, that was nice, but their sound is a bit weaker than the Yellowjackets, mostly because Yellowjackets is all-male and they're more power-house like.  

Afro-Blue is the premiere jazz choir at Howard University.  Ooh, jazz.  I'm looking forward to this!

Afro-Blue: "Put Your Records On" by Corinne Bailey Rae
That girl's shorts are really short.  You can tell she's the glamour girl of the group.  Nice, jazzy sound, really laid-back.  What is going on with Sara's commentary?  She's making me smile, though, because the way she reads her notes reminds me of some of my incoherent trip reports.  "Warm butter on grits": if I had ever eaten grits, I'd know what this means.  

Hmmm...now we're having an all-star girl group from previous seasons: Delilah.  I like all-female a cappella, as long as it doesn't get shrill.  Let's see how this goes.

Delilah: "Grenade" by Bruno Mars
Lead's facial expressions are kind of inconsistent, but her voice is great!  That rocked!  I guess they're trying to sex up their clothes this season?  "Rubbing seconds" are really cool when they're done well, Mr. Lachey.  It's an interval thang.

Results:
Moving on to the next round: Delilah, Afro-Blue and Yellowjackets

Fannin Family's Swan Song: "Tomorrow" from "Annie".  Aw, the non-sexed-up people left.

Denver has an urban element?  I mean, I know it's a city and all that, but it was just so clean when we were there this summer that it's like, too nice to have the "urban" quality, but OK.  Be the rapper for your city, dude.

Urban Method: "Love the Way You Lie" by Eminem & Rihanna
Ooh, he's a good rapper.  More beatbox than vocal percussion-style, but it's perfect for their musical style.  "Rapapella" -- oh, Nick.  Don't try to be me.  I agree with Shawn: I really liked how more than one of them was doing the percussion.  I like that Sara talks about arrangements.  

Show biz pros The Cat's Pajamas used to work on cruise ships, and now sing in Branson.  I need to go there and just watch shows for a few days.  OK, they bring a "Pretty Woman" on stage!  I like them already.  ;)

The Cat's Pajamas: "Some Kind of Wonderful" by Grand Funk Railroad
You can tell that they're professional because they match, and their suits are tailor-made.  They also have choreography.  Very well done, guys!  You remind me of someone I adore. Ben wants them to write an original song immediately.  Sara thinks about pants.  So anyway, I think that the judges need to give them a chance to sing more than one song before criticizing on "versatility".  Really, people?  That's your critique?  Then let them sing again!

First-timers now, formed in L.A., Kinfolk 9 should be interesting.  What, they couldn't find any more groups that have actually been together for a while?  There are just so many people that have been struggling in the genre already that it kinda annoys me that they're trying to get the sympathy vote for their non-a/c selves.  OK, OK, I'll give it a chance.

Kinfolk 9: "Secrets" by One Republic
Where is the bass?  They have a lot of strong voices, but they are seriously lacking the low sound.  No, I'm not just being bitchy.  I need a bass in my a cappella.  APPARENTLY, Sara heard him, but I couldn't hear it, at least not in the second half when I noticed.  I agree with Ben about needing more time to blend.  

Time to go to Provo, to see the Osmonds!  Or, no.  BYU's Vocal Point are more cuteness embodied.  

Vocal Point: "Jump, Jive and Wail" by Brian Setzer Orchestra
Ooh, they match, too!  Their energy and showmanship make me smile, and they chose a great song for their debut.  I really enjoyed that.  I agree with Ben about that wicked bass line.  

Results:
Going on to the next round are Vocal Point, Urban Method and Kinfolk 9.

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME?!?!?!!?  AUGH!!!!

The Cat's Pajamas' Swan Song: "Bye, Bye, Love"
Oh, TCP, I'm going to seriously hate K9 even more now that you're gone.  If the fans vote K9 as the winner this season, I'm OUT of this show.

I was wondering how they were going to make this a full season if they were eliminating 2 groups already, but now my question has been answered:  8 more groups next week.  YAY!


No comments:

Post a Comment