Friday, September 2, 2011

On Point

My week started off with 3 days in Sacto for business.  I was back in the office on Thursday, and then happily left for the weekend and flew right back up to Sacramento.  No, I don't love Sacto all that much:  it's time for a Rockapella Road Trip!!!


The rest of the Pella Posse was already there, and Jenn had already picked up the rental car, so we were all set to go as soon as I grabbed my bag from the carousel.  We walked to the parking structure, and Jenn attempted to unlock a Lexus SUV.  We were, like, "Ooh, a Lexus!" then she realized that this was not the car she had actually rented.  It was a few rows away, where she had left it in "J" for "Jenny", but for some reason, we all forgot that mnemonic when we saw the Lexus.  Whatevs.  We got into the similar-looking Mazda CX-9  parked in a similiarly-parked space, and went on our way after we figured out how not to suffocate in the car and how to get it into the proper gear.  


Jenn had a GPS, and had also printed directions from GoogleMaps.  Since I was the navigator, and had been to our hotel before, I told her the directions and ignored the GPS.   Remember how I am with GPS?  Well, this time, Google was incorrect as we got on the I-5 North, which was in the WRONG direction.  We figured this out after a few exits of not seeing civilization, and finally exited at a place with a Target.  So, of course, off we went for some Target shopping.  But not until after Jenn hit a curb on the way to the parking space.


I wanted to get a birthday card for Geo and decided that, since we were here, I might as well buy ANOTHER comb because I forgot the 18,000th comb-bought-on-trips at home, and only had my little travel-sized one.  We also got some snacks for the road trip.  Wendy thought of buying energy bars for Geo, and then we realized that we didn't know what he'd like, and neither one of us know enough about energy bars to know what's really good.  Well, we tried!


Then I just HAD to take a picture of this, because it was at the entrance of the shopping center.


The Horse Wins
We were hungry, so we decided to eat at Red Robin for dinner, where Jenn had a bit of trouble parking our huge SUV within and parallel to the lines.  She claimed that it was because she is short and can't see everything.  We're all short, so this trip should be lots of fun with us driving a vehicle that none of us is accustomed to driving.

At dinner, KP attempted to put seasoning on her fries, and luckily for her, she looked at the canister after she unscrewed the lid, and saw that there was no strainer thing PRIOR to seasoning her fries, so she avoided a catastrophe.  When the server asked us if there was anything she could get for us, I wordlessly lifted the lid on the canister and showed her the absence of the strainer, and we all laughed.  She never did come back for a replacement, but KP had already decided that her fries were seasoned enough anyway.  She also realized later that her dinner was free because her rewards card thing still counted the day as part of her birthday month.  Yay!

We got back on the freeway, this time in the correct direction, and hit traffic because of road work.  Ugh.  At least our bellies were full and we were enjoying each other's company, and the delay was only 9 minutes long, according to the Garmin.  I was going to write that I will now follow whatever the Garmin says, but we almost went the wrong way again as the Garmin changed its mind from us going on the I-80 to Reno into the I-80 San Francisco.  Well, it's not a Rockapella Road Trip without us going in the wrong direction and also going to Target, so we're on point for a great time as usual.

Jenn and I stayed up late talking, but I still woke up early because my body is getting old and wants to live every moment it can, I guess.  We're now getting ready for breakfast before our 5-hour drive to Oregon.  Pray for us.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment