Monday, February 21, 2011

Stuck

Yesterday, I went to the theater to see "127 Hours".  

  • The story is set in the canyons of Utah, one of my favorite natural places in the world. Bryce Canyon is my particular favorite, because I remember visiting it as a teenager, and our good times there.  It's also just beautifully unique.  The movie wanted me to explore Utah more, but, you know, not by myself.  Gorgeous cinematography.
  • James Franco did a great job.  I usually don't care one way or another if he's involved in a project, and then when I see it, he's outstanding.  This was another one of those times.
  • Yay, Amber Tamblyn!  Love her, and she was way cute.
  • "We squeeze."
  • OK, I totally thought that the thunderstorm was for real, even after I realized that his getting loose was a vision.  He woke up, and I was, like, "Oh, he didn't get more water?!"
  • "It needs to be chilled.  Like Sauvignon Blanc."
  • My favorite part of the recordings he was making has got to be the talk show scene.
  • I wasn't really understanding the image with the couch at the time it was happening.  I was thinking, "Are those dead people?"  Then I realized at the end that they were all *waiting* for him to get out of there.  
  • The vision of the kid and its effect on Aron just floored me.  
  • I was aware of the story beforehand, and was a little bit worried about the arm scene, so I made sure to bring a sweatshirt to cover my face if it got too gross for me.  I ended up watching that whole scene,  through tears, anyway.  I think I cried from the first moment of that scene until the end of the credits.  It totally helped that I knew that it had actually happened to Mr. Ralston.  I mean, the dude BROKE his OWN ARM so he could get through the arm with that dull tool!  Then the soundtrack playing when he tried to cut the nerve?  Oh, geez, I'm going to cry again.
OK, so that was crazy good.  I highly recommend it to just about anyone except those that faint at the sight of fake-blood-that-actually-happened-in-real-life.

One more to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment