Friday, February 11, 2011

Enunciate!

I had some extra free time the other day, so I celebrated by walking to the movie theater and watching "The King's Speech".



  • Geoffrey Rush and Colin Firth reciting Shakespeare...in a Weinstein film! Those of you that know my favorite movie must know why I grinned widely at those moments.  (Sigh.  I miss Joseph).
  • I like seeing HBC as a non-scary person, although I was scared of her when I first saw her, because it's kind of a reflex for me.
  • I enjoyed all of the jabs at Australia being a colony of Britain.
  • So I'm staring at Guy Pearce, wondering if he's "that Guy guy" that I loved in "L.A. Confidential" and other stuff.  Why did I doubt myself when his cheekbones and jawline are so....HIM?
  • Yay, Michael Gambon!  There really should have been some magic in this movie, seeing as he and HBC were in it.  Oh, but then she would have been scary.  Never mind.
  • I think it's great that Lionel's last name is "Logue".  What a perfect name for a speech therapist.  To borrow from "Seinfeld"'s Kramer, "That's like an ice cream man named 'Cone'!"
  • Through much of the movie, I thought to myself, "I miss London.  I want to live there."  and then Logue was dismissed into the pouring rain, and I stopped thinking that.
  • "And up goes Her Royal Highness...and down goes Her Royal Highness."
  • "Kinging":  I like that word.  I wish I could say I've been busy "Sherrying".  Wait.  That might sound like I've been drinking.  Oh, OK, I'll take it.
  • I love the scene in which Logue encourages Bertie to curse.  This should surprise absolutely nobody.  "F...f...fornication?"
  • I also loved the scene wherein Myrtle finds out exactly who her husband's client has been all this time.
Inspiring story, great acting, loved this movie.


1 comment:

  1. "They're idiots".

    "They've been knighted."

    "Well, then that just makes it official."

    Best.line.ever.


    I didn't know that Derek Jacobi was in the film, and it was so nice to see him. I can't remember the last time I saw him. Such British acting royalty throughout the entire film.

    And yeah, Lionel's wife meeting the King and Queen in her house, and the looks she was giving Lionel, were priceless.


    This film was so quintessential Merchant/Ivory - it made me miss them.

    ReplyDelete