Thursday, September 5, 2024

From the Canyon to the Shores of Kauai

  Pella in Paradise
Day 6: Sunday, October 6, 2023
Sightseeing on Kauai

Still on a happiness high from the night before, V and I woke up early to watch the sunrise from our room.  








V followed JT's wishes for us and booked us a helicopter ride for the next day before we ventured out for a drive around the island.  I tried to get in touch with my mom's cousin so that maybe we could visit, but we never got to talk to her.  Next time, Auntie Janing!


We picked up breakfast at the McDonald's drive-through, where I got a haupia pie, because it exists there.


I was in the back seat with all of the snacks, as usual.  I might have fallen asleep at one point, because all of a sudden I saw out the window that we were up on a mountain or something.



We were actually on our way to view Waimea Canyon.  Some people had pulled over prior to arriving at the official lookout site, so we did, too.  Wow.  This was like stepping into a painting.  I wish I was talented with watercolors or chalk or something, because I was already inspired with my no talent.




At the lookout point, we were required to pay for our parking, and enter our license plate number on the machine.  The pass was good for all of the lookout points throughout the day.  

Hibiscus Flower next to the walkway

View from Waimea Canyon Lookout

It was a little breezy

See how the colors change according to the 
cloud positions?  So pretty.



View from Ni'Ihau Viewpoint

When we arrived at the other viewpoint, we saw sound guy Nate and his girlfriend go to the Canyon Trail.  That was a long trail that I did not want to traverse.  It was cool to see people walking the trail later from our vantage points, though.  Bro and V hadn't prepared for such a long hike, otherwise, they probably would have done it.

By the time we arrived At Kalalau Lookout, it was a little drizzly, and we saw some waterfalls in the distance.


Taking advantage of awesome zoom on my camera
This is one of 3 waterfalls in the video below.



We had to clean our shoes before walking on the way to Wai'ale'ale - "One of the wettest spots on Earth."  I didn't hike as far as Bro and V, but they didn't actually go all the way to the wettest spot.  While I waited for them, I took selfies.  I also talked to a woman whom was part of a larger group. We observed an older gentleman from her group get his shoe stuck in the railing, which caused him to hang down from it a bit upside-down because he was trying to take a shortcut from the viewpoint to the trail.  He was laughing and so were his friends, so everything was OK.  

V demonstrates shoe cleaning



Bro at Na Pali Kona







On their way to hike the Phea Trail

Without Zoom

Staying Safe & Taking Selfies

We then went to the Kokee Museum.  I wanted to take a picture of two boys playing a game inside the museum, but I didn't want to be creepy.




Model of Kauai

I fed wild chickens!  They had bags of bird feed available when I bought my cute new bag, so I went out to feed them.  Once I began to toss the seed, a bunch of them came out of the woods to join in the feast.  Also, there was a cute dog just chilling outside the restaurant next to the museum.










On our way down the mountain, we returned to a place near the first stop we made so that we could take photos of the red soil and the nearby babbling brook.





We found our way to Hanapepe and soon realized that it was the home of Lilo and Stitch!


I love my Bro so much.

Inside one of the stores, the store owner told V that L&S artist/director Dean DeBlois drew something for their store, which was not for sale, but it was on display there.  Later on in the evening, V showed me the business card that the woman gave her and it was our Auntie Janing's (married) last name!  Had I only seen it while we were in the store, I would have asked if she knew her.  Anyway, this woman told us to go to Poipu beach, so we headed there after our shopping and photo shoots.


Plumeria Tree Goals

View from under the Plumeria tree


We were able to find a good parking spot at Poipu Beach, but we couldn't get into one of the restaurants.  Nearby, though, the Marriott Vacation Club had an outside bar with food which was available to non-guests.  The server was a transplant from Rhode Island, I think, and she said that there are a lot of people from the mainland like her that go there once and decide to come back to stay.  I sure don't blame them.

Koloa Mudslide

Beyond Burger

While we ate our dinner, we saw that there were a couple of turtles on the sand with cones near them with signs taped onto them telling people to let the turtles rest.





We also enjoyed watching surfers.  












Ah, this life.  It was bliss.  I mean, look at the gorgeous sunset!

Wishing again that I was a painter



On the way back to our car, we got a closer look at the turtles.




Then we saw a bunch of people gathered further down the beach.  It was dark by then, but we figured it must be something important.  Whoa.  They were all looking at a group of about 30 turtles coming up on the shore!  It was AMAZING.  









Thank goodness for the night vision on my camera!  I will cherish that moment forever, it was such a treat!

We went back to the hotel room and rested from our beautiful day.  V and I needed to wake up early the next morning for even more wonderment!

Good night, Tortugas!



Next up:  Jurassic Day

No comments:

Post a Comment