Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Bananaman Returns to Wine Country

Sonoma 2018
Day 1
Saturday, January 13, 2018

I have a milestone birthday coming up this month, and I wanted to go someplace special with my friends. While I would have liked to go to New York to see Rockapella this weekend, I didn't want to be cold.  Like, NYC Winter Cold.  I've done that, but didn't want to do it for my birthday. I also wanted to boost the wine country community after the horrific fires devastated the folks in the area this past December.  So I decided to spend the Martin Luther King Jr. weekend in Sonoma, and invited some of my closest friends to join me.  Some of them could make it, so it was time to plan.  I knew a couple of places that I wanted to go, based on a previous trip to Sonoma, a couple of which could not happen because they were closed, but we made plans around that.  Flights and hotels were booked, and we were excited to spend a few days with each other to eat, drink, relax, and enjoy each other's company.

The day started with us getting an alert from Southwest that our flight to Sacramento would be an hour late to depart.  Linda, Mox, Glenndy and I decided to go to the airport anyway and have breakfast together while we waited.  The departure time changed several times so I'm glad we were already in the airport so we wouldn't stress out over what time to get there.  While we were waiting in the gate area, a woman with a toddler was kind of irritating us, but we watched over her car seat while she went to the restroom anyway.  She then held up the line to board the plane because of some cancellation having to do with changing her baby's ticket to a lap seat only, which had occurred when she checked in earlier in the day.   Later in Sacramento, as we waited for our rental car shuttle to leave the terminal, she delayed us again because someone offered up their seats to her and luggage needed to be taken off and put on and...we texted each other about the whole thing and giggled quietly.  


The Girls' Row

I would have taken a picture of The Boys' Row, but there was a woman in the middle of it.  At least she didn't have her hair in a hot mess, like someone else on the plane.  Yeah, I'm mean.


Hello, Spider-Bunny!

While on our way to Sonoma, we stopped at Red Robin for a late lunch.  I reminisced about the time Jenny couldn't park the big SUV she rented, and wondered what I bought in the nearby Target.  The service was weird, but I enjoyed my short stack of onion rings.  I especially enjoyed the fact that there was a Hidden Mickey in its presentation.  


Mickey!

As we arrived in the Napa and Sonoma area, we saw the effects of the fires on the region.  There were still areas of black, and some of the trees that had burned were now growing moss on their trunks.  We would learn the next day that the grapevines saved much of the region because there wasn't any fuel for the fires to burn due to the dormant vines.  I read somewhere that the soil was affected by the flame retardant, so we'll see in a couple of years if any good wine comes out of this coming season's crop.  Meanwhile, we did see some homes that were burned to the ground and I felt sad for the victims.  

Glenndy and I arrived at our hotel and checked in.  I asked the hotel clerk if Weff could have a room nearby.  Glenndy's room was not near me because they had reserved, like, a hotel of their own or something.  My room was quite nice, and had a fireplace with pictures of a vineyard and old school winery vehicles on the walls.




I know your OCD is making you crazy right now.
As I was unpacking, I received a text from Weff that they were checked in and their room was around the corner from mine.  I met up with them and Glenndy in the hotel lobby and we walked over to The Plaza Bistro, where we had dinner reservations.  Mox and Linda arrived about a minute after we did (they were staying in other hotels), so we were seated almost immediately.  We didn't realize how large the restaurant was, and they had a nice table ready for us in the back, where most of the seating was located.  I was ready to start off the wine weekend and ordered a glass of 2014 Cabernet Franc from Imagery, which I enjoyed.

Bananaman made his appearance and the birthday celebration officially started.
It's Bananaman Time!


The server confused us because he didn't go in any particular order around the table.   I mean, at least tell us you're going to ask the ladies first, dude.  He didn't.  He was kind of like that all night, which annoyed us. At least I enjoyed my food:


Pork Scallopini with Kale, Mashed Potatoes,
and caper butter sauce
Bread pudding with chocolate chips
and hazelnut gelato


I was glad there were no raisins in the bread pudding, but it was more dense than I prefer.  It also didn't go with the grappa I ordered, but that's my fault because I couldn't resist the grappa, although it was really strong.  I don't remember what kind I had before, but I don't remember it being that strong.  It also looked like water, but I was careful not to confuse one glass with the other.  Maybe I should have just had the grappa and the gelato.  Or just the gelato.  Whatevs.  All I know is that it took forever for us to get the check, then we realized it was on the cabinet behind Double N.  Perhaps we would have paid it sooner if it had been placed where we would look for it, like on the dinner table.

Grappa


You know how I am.  I needed pics of my friends with Bananaman.  See how happy we are?






Weff, Glenndy, and I walked back to our hotel and Linda and Mox drove to theirs.  Outside one of the bars, we saw this sign.



When I returned to the hotel, I got ready for bed and set the Duraflame on fire.  Yes, in the fireplace.  I figured it was a good time to start my new book, which goes along with the theme of the weekend.  Remember the 7 people shown above?  It wouldn't remain 7 for very long...

Ten Little Indians wasn't available
 in the bookstore at BUR

Next up:  Biscotti Day

No comments:

Post a Comment