Monday, June 27, 2016

Snow Day Sunday

DCI West
Sunday, June 26, 2016
Stanford Stadium
Palo Alto, CA

On our way from Sacramento to Dublin, Bro's fuel indicator lit up, so we stopped in Livermore for gas.  Aw, I saw the hotel where I had previously stayed and immediately missed Wendy and Rockapella.  We decided to eat while we were there, and ended up at Denica's Real Food Kitchen.  Well, this is a popular place!  People were lined up to order their food (at least 10 people in front of us).  I would have ordered a big breakfast because that's my favorite meal of the day and they had plenty of choices, but we had dessert plans and I wanted to save room for that.  I had a lot of trouble choosing so I changed my mind at least 8 times before we got to the front of the line.  Even then, I didn't know what to get and finally blurted out "Breakfast Sammie".  Bro ordered a Turkey Avocado sandwich, which came with a side salad.  The free water available had fruit slices in the dispenser, and I chose the one with strawberries and lemons.  It was very nice and refreshing.  They also had bowls of tortilla chips and salsa to eat while you waited for your food.  This was perfect for Bro, whom wanted an appetizer before his meal, but there weren't any on the menu.  We chose to eat at a table outside, and enjoyed our food when it arrived.  I'll definitely be recommending this place to Pella and the posse the next time we're in town.
Lunch!

Then we made our way to Dublin, CA, home of Snowflake.   Mmmmm....shaved snow!  Bro ordered the Tropic Mango, which is what I was going to order.  So again I needed to just decide on the spot and ordered the Guava.  The tables were full, so we opted to take our goodies to go, and ate in the car.  Both flavors were yummy, though I preferred the mango, naturally, as that is my favorite fruit.  Bro finished his first and started to drive while I kept eating and feeling the inside of my cheeks get numb.  
Guava Snow with Strawberries,
Mango Popping Boba and Composite Jelly

We checked into our hotel and relaxed for a little while before taking off for Stanford University.  We weren't early enough to park on the pavement, so we parked in the Eucalyptus Lot.  I don't know why they don't just pave this area.  It's not like anything else happens there except cars parking in a disorganized fashion.  I guess they're trying to save the trees from being uprooted, I don't know.

They love their Trees here


Anyway, we briefly looked at the souvenir stands and I think I might be getting some BD rehearsal leggings at some point this month.  We went to the ticket gate, and I got rid of my bottle of water because they wouldn't allow them in with liquid.  I was all confused and threw mine into the bin, and the lady said that I could take it in.  So I took it back.  Then she said I'd need to empty it first.  So I threw it back in there.  Then Bro said I could have watered the plants and then fill it from the drinking fountain.  Oh.  Forget it.  I needed to use the restroom and clearly wasn't paying attention to anything else, so I met up with Bro at our seats.

Our seats were awesome!  We were on the left 40, top row, and Bro's seat was at the top of the steps, so he had nobody in front of him.  I had maybe half a seat in front of me.  We were by the railing, but I could get most of the field in my pictures if I stood up.  Section 124, Row DD, Seats 1-2.  Thanks for the great seats, Bro!

Hey, even the DCI Logo is yellow this year.  It's a yellow year!
Big Board


EXHIBITION
Alisal Union School District Drumline














Freelancers Alumni

The Star-Spangled Banner was performed by Blue Devils Alumnus Marcel on the trumpet.  I'm loving all of the live renditions of our National Anthem.

GOLDEN EMPIRE
Nice percussion feature.  I don't think that this show is done, and I'm still trying to figure out why it's called "Music Matters".  I mean, that statement is a given to musicians like me, but I'm trying to figure out the "story" of the show.  Or at least the theme of the show.  

Golden Empire

Dude came up the stairs and sat down in the row in front of us, and called over the refreshments guy, whom blocked my view of the field.  Dude was wearing an SCV cap.  Couldn't he have waited until after the next corps, then?!  Annoying.  I wanted to throw something at him (not the refreshment guy), because this is the one day that I can get pictures from a high point in the stadium.  

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD CADETS
Great job today!  Much better entrance after the solo.  Very nice trumpet solo after that, too.  Beautiful sound during the piece when they are kneeling.

Crossbow

Then the dude got up to go to his actual seat and commented to us that we got the best seats in the house and asked how we got them.  I let Bro talk to him because I was still annoyed.

BLUE DEVILS B
People like that bass drum action at the beginning of the show.  The duet was gorgeous.  Why doesn't it end with the USA flag being planted on the moon?  Is it because Apollo 13 didn't get there?  Or will this happen during Finals week?

Blue Devils B

BLUE DEVILS C
All of the other corps marched in from the right side.  BD-C walked in from the right side tunnel, all the way to the left side, and then marched onto the field from the left.  I guess that's the only way they can do it so far.  Who cares?  They're too cute.  Uh oh.  Steps!  Use the same foot as the others!  I guess they need to learn how to double step to catch up, or whatever they do in drum corps.

Smooth Criminals Busted

<Intermission>

ACADEMY
Beautiful "Unchained Melody" solo.  OH!  "Ghost"!!!  That's the other reason they're playing this song.  I get it.  Bro told me later that there is a ghost formation.  I'll have to look for that.  I think I may have seen it but didn't think about it.  Heart beats with the big bass drum and the corps moving with each beat.  Very cool. Unlike the movie, there are no butterflies at the end of this show.
Time is eternal for those who love

PACIFIC CREST
They do a reprise of "I've Been Working On the Railroad" at the end of the show.  I hadn't heard that on previous nights.  The last pose by the color guard is the same one as the famous poster of Rosie the Riveter.  Two people lost their plumes.  The audience was not very receptive of this show today.
PC RR

MANDARINS
The siren is portrayed by two different people.  Good color guard work!  Someone dropped their stick.  It's good that they have extras.  

I like this color scheme

During the show, the guy in front of me felt a spider on his arm.  This may have been the same spider that I felt on my arm, and shooed away to Bro's seat.  The guy got all freaked out, brushed it off of him, and immediately squashed it with his foot.  Poor spider.  The guy was scratching himself for the rest of the show, probably from the heebie jeebies.  

I haven't mentioned the seagulls.  There were seagulls on the other side of the stadium, and sometimes a lot of them were flying around and kind of freaking me out because I've watched "The Birds" too many times.  After the Mandarins show, one of them had a huge piece of bread and dropped it on the field, prompting all of the other seagulls to fly down to "help" him eat it.  The lady next to me said that the gulls wanted to provide us with entertainment between shows.

BLUE KNIGHTS
Bro said that he hadn't noticed before that the backside of the mirrors were red.  I informed him that the red is the reflection of the seats in the stadium.  They were not red yesterday.  Oh.  I really like the crescendo while the brass is in a rectangular-ish shape on the lower right corner of the field.  The CG woman at center field was looking at the mirror and reacting to the different impact sounds.  The show is still not finished.  I'm hoping that we'll see more when they get to So Cal.  

MADISON SCOUTS
Judas yells now.  I saw a skull formation.  Bro did not.  He asked if I saw the star.  There's a star?  APPARENTLY, it's very quick, before the last fleur de lis.  I'm not sure if you can see the fleur de lis in this picture, but it's there.  I like their formations, but I wish they'd stay in each specific formation (their trademark ones) a little bit longer.

Fleur de Lis

SANTA CLARA VANGUARD
The white is very pretty from up here.  Beautiful music!  I missed getting a shot of the SCV star formation, but I did get the shield.

Oh, it's a snowflake!

BLUE DEVILS
I just noticed "Stormy Weather" in the opening of the show and throughout.  Where have I been? I can't belive that I'm writing this, but they need to clean the brass runs at the beginning of the show.  Not that everyone else is cleaner than them, but I noticed it and I usually don't for this corps.
Pinwheel / Whirlpool

SCORES

Open Class:
4) 38.90 BD - C
3) 46.15 Golden Empire
2) 51.15 SCV Cadets
1) 51.80 BD - B

World Class:
7) 56.35 Mandarins
6) 56.55 Pac Crest
5) 60.45 Academy
4) 63.25 BK
3) 65.30 Madison
2) 69.25 SCV
1) 71.40 BD

ENCORE - MADISON SCOUTS
  • California Dreamin' - Awww, because they're here!  I don't know why they need to have a trombone solo, but OK.
  • Selection from "Judas" 
  • You'll Never Walk Alone - this is their corps song, and a few alumni were in the stands watching while arm in arm.  The arrangement is different from what we're used to hearing from the Scouts, but I was still glad to hear it
  • Madison performing "Judas"
We did not go out to eat anything afterward because we both had half of our sandwiches from lunch, so we ate those for dinner with some of our snacks as our side dishes.  Did I mention that I brought way too many snacks?  I did.

Next up:  

SCV Family Day

No comments:

Post a Comment