Saturday, April 20, 2013

The Answer

I had the day off yesterday, so I did lunch with Mich at Wood Ranch BBQ, and after some shopping, I went to the movie theater for "42".

  • I liked Harrison Ford's portrayal of Branch Rickey.  He had his reasons for wanting to bring a black baseball player to the major leagues, first saying that money is green and that's the only color he cares about.  But, of course, he had another motive, and it was quite touching.
  • Whenever anybody stands up for another person's rights, my heart swells.  I think that's why I love movies like this: a lot of people were behind Robinson's rise, and he could not have done it without people like Rickey.
  • "He's a Methodist.  I'm a Methodist.  God is a Methodist."
  • I also liked the way that Rickey asked Robinson if he could control his temper when the racist remarks were going to eventually start.
  • Chadwick Boseman was a great choice to play Jackie Robinson.  He has the charisma and an awesome chemistry with Nicole Beharie.  I rooted for the 2 of them from the moment she got his call from Brooklyn.  He also had me crying several times when he reacted, or restrained himself from reacting, to the prejudice against him.
  • I heard an interview about why Robinson was chosen instead of a different ball player (it was touched on in the film, but the interview revealed much more).  I was hoping to hear about it in the film, but I guess they didn't want to stray from Robinson's story.
  • Alan Tudyk did a great job of making me want to punch him in the face.  Actually, all of the actors did a great job of getting me really emotionally involved in the film, whether it be my  loving the romance, hating the racism, or feeling pride for those who changed.
  • The scene with Rachel seeing a White Only restroom was particularly telling, because she had never had the experience having grown up in good old Pasadena, CA.  I'm glad I live here.
  • "Must have been that elongated heel bone that made him hit it like that."
  • The shower invitation scene was hysterical.
  • "You're medicine!"
  • Poor Pittsburgh.
  • Inspiring.  The audience applauded at the end.  

I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and I recommend it highly.  Go see it!  Go Dodger Blue!  

No comments:

Post a Comment