Monday, February 13, 2012

One Big Machine

I saw "Hugo" in 3D today after work.

  • That kid with his eyes reminds me of Elijah Wood.  He's got the talent like Elijah, too.
  • I'm not one of those Scorcese fans that wants to watch his films over and over again, and at the beginning of the movie, I thought that maybe this would be the case once more.  But no. This one is lighter than his usual dark stuff, so I would see it again.
  • All of that clockwork stuff amazed me visually.  So did all of that beautiful cinematography.
  • The automaton kind of creeped me out, especially during the dream sequences.  
  • Spotted Martin Scorcese and giggled.  Thought I saw Johnny Depp, but APPARENTLY, that was a lookalike, as Johnny wasn't available due to his schedule.
  • I love the way that this is clearly a tribute to film, and I loved the silent movie homage with the hanging from the clock.  It also reminded me of "Back to the Future", but I don't think that's what Scorcese meant to do.
  • Reading as much as Isabelle does makes her have quite a large and interesting vocabulary.  I liked her a lot.
  • I liked the way that Hugo talked about existing to serve a purpose, just like each piece in a machine. 
  • How can I not like a movie that has a reference to Jean Valjean, mermaids, and  Camille Saint-Saens' "Danse Macabre"?
  • It's nice to see Christopher Lee in a non-sinister role, although at first glance, I thought of Saruman.
  • Ben Kingsley was amazing, as usual.  
  • "Which one?  I've mastered 3."
Beautiful movie.  I'm glad that I saw it in the theater, despite my initial resistance to it.


No comments:

Post a Comment