Saturday, October 17, 2009

Motown Comes to Universal

A couple of weeks before the concert, I saw that there was a deal to see The Temptations and the Four Tops at the Gibson Amphitheatre for $10.00 with no service charge, and the deal was only good for that day. So I promptly signed on to the website, saw that they had seats available, and almost clicked for 1 ticket, then thought, “Hey, maybe Liz will want to go. We can celebrate her birthday there.” So I contacted her and she & Joe agreed to be spontaneous and accompany me.


I arrived early, so I did some shopping at CityWalk before meeting up with Liz & Joe at the amphitheatre. I needed a drink, so I got some chicken wings and a margarita, which were both tasty and served their purpose well. 


Thoughts about the show itself:

  • Hey! There are 5 microphone stands on stage, like we’re used to! This is true for both Rockapella and NKOTB.
  • The Temptations wore orange suits and purple shoes. The Four Tops wore purple suits and purple shoes. I thought that maybe the 4T should have worn orange shoes in order to coordinate with the Temps. Maybe purple shoes were on sale.
  • The Temps sure had a lot of hit songs. I knew most of them because I listened to a lot of “Oldies” songs with my parents when I grew up. I had also just recently purchased a double CD of the Temps’ hits, so that helped, too.
  • The 4Tops didn’t have as many hit songs, and they did their versions of more contemporary songs, like the new Whitney Houston song, and Luther Vandross’ “Dance with My Father”. The soloist who sang both of these two songs was amazing, and that’s what made me realize why the Tops were the second act to go on. Before those solos, I had thought it was odd that the Temptations would open for the Tops, but I sure understood after that.
  • Loved all the dancing, and pretty much pictured Rockapella during the songs that they cover. We decided, though, that Pella doesn’t do enough of the Rolling Arms motion when they dance, and my assignment was to tell Pella that the next chance I get.
  • There is only one original member of each group still performing.  That's even better than Pella, and those groups have been together longer than a Pella member or two have been alive, I think.
  • Joe was dancing along.  I absolutely loved being a witness to that. :)
  • For one of the songs, the Temptations had people turn on their cell phones and use the light in place of lighters.
  • There was a dude wearing a sparkly green outfit, almost jumpsuit-like, with the shirt having a big collar and no buttons.  It made Liz feel underdressed.  It made me feel like we were going to watch "Saturday Night Fever."  
  • Both groups kept giving advice to the men in the audience, on how to treat their ladies.  Liz and I just kept looking at Joe during those moments.  Treat her like a lady, Joe!
  • Joe's words:  "That's the best $10.00 concert I've ever seen." 
Joe's words are sufficient.  

Thanks for the fun time, you guys!


No comments:

Post a Comment