Monday, July 14, 2008

Cafe Beaujolais

Since today is Bastille Day, I finally remembered that I was going to post a review of the French place that I went to last week.

I wanted to take Jenn out for a nice dinner for her birthday, so she took me to this little French place that she had been to recently: Cafe Beaujolais.

The restaurant is located on Colorado Blvd in Eagle Rock, but we got lucky with the parking and found a spot right in front of the place. The restaurant wasn't very crowded, but it did fill up as the evening progressed.

We were served a basket of a French baguette and butter. I would have been happier if the bread was warm, since the butter was cold, but it was still fresh and tasty. As soon as Jenn had mentioned that we would be going to a French restaurant, I immediately remembered that I had been craving escargots, so I ordered those. Jenn only had 1 out of the 8 that were on the plate, but I was happy to oblige and eat the rest of them. I was a little disappointed that the shells weren't there, as half the fun of escargots is trying to look dainty while taking the meat out of the shell. We soaked up the garlic butter with our bread, and it was yummy. Not the best I've had, but that may be due to the fact that the best I've had was also the first time I had escargots, so now I wonder if I just compare every other escargot to that one. That reminds me: I need to get myself back down to Taix again.

Anyway, the very handsome French waiter advised us of the evening's specials, and Jenn and I both ordered the Sole stuffed with Salmon mousse, which was placed atop some sliced potatoes in a type of saffron reduction. The fish was tasty, and I thought that I would enjoy the sauce because I like saffron, but for some reason, I didn't like it. I wasn't really in the mood for the potatoes, probably because they were in the sauce a lot more than the fish was, so I won't make up a comment on those. The vegetables on the side were a half of a tomato with some kind of breading on top (which I should have eaten more of, since I did enjoy it), and a square of some sort of spinach dish, which was good, but I would rather that it had been smaller. The main course serving was larger than I would expect from a French restaurant, and had I enjoyed the sauce, I might have taken home the 1/3 of a portion that I hadn't finished. Jenn said that if I return, I should try the chicken, as she had really enjoyed it the other time she had been there. I've just read the reviews on yelp, and if I'm in the mood for fish again, I'll probably try the halibut.

For dessert, I ordered a mango tart, and Jenn ordered the profiteroles. Mmmmm....that mango tart was tres yummy. The chocolate sauce on the profiteroles was also very good. I decided that I could return and just have escargots and dessert and I'd be happy. I'd probably also be happy because all of the waiters speak with a French accent and are gorgeous. Other than the always-stimulating conversation that Jenn and I had, the other best part of the night was when all of the waiters sang "Bon Anniversaire" to a woman (she was celebrating her birthday with a bunch of her girlfriends), and our view of the scene was the waiters'....ummm....backsides. We were happy girls. We didn't really need them to sing the song to Jenn, but now that I think of it, we would then have been right next to their...fronts. Ahem.

Anyway, I would return to Cafe Beaujolais, but am also curious about the breakfast place nearby, Petit Beaujolais. Perhaps I'll try that place before going back to the cafe, because I'm more of a breakfast kind of gal.

Bon Anniversaire, mon amie Jenn! Merci beaucoup pour le soir amusant!

Cafe Beaujolais
1712 Colorado Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90041
Reservations recommended for weekends: (323)255-5111
Parking on Street
yelp reviews

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, escargots and dessert might be a bit of an odd mix.

    Snail tarts! ;)

    ReplyDelete