Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Spherical Chickens in a Vacuum

"The Big Bang Theory" is back! At least it will be on TV March 17th.

I went to the WB lot to watch the taping of the first show since the writers' strike tonight, and it was several hours of waiting, laughing, laughing at the same scene, and then more laughing at the re-written stuff in the same scene. It's nice to have writers available, huh? The warm-up guy was funniest when he was being random, and there were some wacky audience members.

My favorite audience member was a woman whom made great farm animal sounds...actual farm animals, not like the people who made the sound of a monkey (not me!) and a dinosaur....

Anyway, she and her husband of 25 years just LOVE the show, and really related to it from the very beginning, and was able to tell the cast & crew. She even referred to one of my favorite scenes, when Leonard uses a Light Saber as a flashlight. It's nice to see a true fan watch their favorite show.

A DJ played music between takes, and at one point there was a dance contest between members, and I could see Jim Parsons (Sheldon's portrayer) doing the Charleston/Jitterbug/whatever. He was having a good time with all of the music.

Another audience member was an elderly lady whom made a "buzzer" sound during the audience dating game. Unbeknownst to the warm-up guy who picked her, she actually turned out to be Johnny Galecki's Great Aunt Netty, whom had come all the way from the midwest to see the show.

The producers were so happy to be back that they ordered pizza and bottled water for everyone (this is not usual), and it was nice to hear the gal with the clapboard say at the start of the show, "Welcome Back!"

So I look forward to seeing which takes will end up on screen. I don't know when I'll be able to go back, but the backside will need to recover from all of that sitting first.

Oh, and the title above refers to one of the scenes that they had to do about 6 or 8 times.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, how cool! I'm so envious. It's been ages since I've been to a taping. My first time, it was amazing to see how long it took to shoot a half-hour sitcom.

    So were y'all still laughing as much during the sixth or eighth take? That's what I found hardest - trying to laugh sincerely when I'd just seen the same thing over and over again, though I don't recall anyone ever doing that many takes of the same scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to laugh just as much, but it's difficult. At least they tried to tweak it a few times, so that by the last take, my laugh was genuine.

    Yeah, when I told someone that the call time was for at least 4 hours, they thought I was kidding, but the 1st hour was a lot of waiting for them to start the taping. We ended up being there for half an hour longer than estimated.

    ReplyDelete